1814Re: [ai-geostats] variogram analysis

  • dwmccarn@aol.com
    Dec 7, 2004
      Dear Rajive:

      I cannot conclude with only 328 pairs that the feature is "wavy" because I do not know how those pairs are distributed for each point in the variogram.  Try different lag spacings, or create an "equal-n" lag variogram where each lag has the same number of pairs.  If that shows the same feature, then perhaps there is a repeating feature (faults, fractures, ore controls, etc.) occurring at regular intervals throughout the sampling domain.  I take it that you have 26 or so sample locations.

      Using "equal-distance" lags usually gives a large number of pairs to the first couple of lags, and then the n drops off rapidly, and the variogram is harder to interpret than with an "equal-n" type variogram.

      I wrote my variography codes to work both ways...

      Dan ii

      Dan W. McCarn, AIPG CPG #10245, Wyoming PG #3031, EurGeol #462
      10228 A Admiral Halsey NE; Albuquerque, NM 87111 USA
      Home: +1-505-822-1323; Cell: +1-505-710-3600

      The College of Santa Fe
      4501 Indian School NE Ste. 100; Albuquerque, NM 87110
      (505) 884-2732 fax (505) 262-5595
      dmccarn@...

      Institut f├╝r Geowissenschaften; Montanuniversit├Ąt Leoben
      Peter-Tunner-Strasse 5; A8700 Leoben, AUSTRIA
      Cell: +43-676/725-6622; Fax; +43-3842-402-4902; Office: +43-3842-402-4903
      In a message dated 12/7/2004 3:27:31 PM Mountain Standard Time, NTGLOVER@... writes:
      Usually when I've seen a "wavy" semivariogram, it's because of a local
      feature superimposed over an existing field function - for instance, a
      release of mercury in a field  of soil with very low "natural" mercury
      content. The period of the waviness is related to the distance across
      the feature (the width of the spill, in this case).  Of course, this is
      nothing particularly earth-shattering, but useful none the less.

      I've used semivariograms like this in the past to "guestimate" the
      approximate size of a plume based on sparse data.  Not all geostatistics
      ends up in gridding and estimating at every point!  Sometimes just
      looking at the semivariogram is very useful.

      Tim Glover
      Senior Environmental Scientist - Geochemistry
      Geoenvironmental Department
      MACTEC Engineering and Consulting, Inc.
      Kennesaw, Georgia, USA
      Office 770-421-3310