1081AI-GEOSTATS: analysis of bone surfaces

  • ANN ZUMWALT
    Jun 24, 2003
      Hello-

      I am a graduate student studying the functional morphology of bones. Part of my thesis entails characterizing the shape of a relatively complex 3D bone surface. I am testing to see whether exercise affects the morphology of this surface, so am looking for a way to test for differences between shapes/specimens. I am especially interested in testing for differences in the rugosity (ie, "bumpiness") of the surfaces, but am interested in *any* method that would help me analyze these surfaces.

      I have 3D grid data (x,y,z) that represents the surfaces (I am scanning the bones with a 3D laser scanner to obtain this data). Can any of you suggest methods to analyze this data that will allow me to differentiate surfaces that are morphologically dissimilar?

      Thank you,
      Ann Zumwalt

      Center for Functional Anatomy & Evolution
      Johns Hopkins University