Mash tuning green?

  • wvcornshine
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 20, 2014

      I have used the same recipe for years Using same brand cracked corn same amount sugar same nutriants  ITS been 75 degrees for 4 days .Have used same mash barrel for years .Still working good but green tint I have never seen taste is different Any help would be helpful.First time this has happened in 15 years.

    • RLB
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 20, 2014
        I would look at the water and barrel.  How clean was your water and barrel when you started?  I use purified water and wash everything before using.

        Robert

        I have used the same recipe for years Using same brand cracked corn same amount sugar same nutriants  ITS been 75 degrees for 4 days .Have used same mash barrel for years .Still working good but green tint I have never seen taste is different Any help would be helpful.First time this has happened in 15 years.

      • Bob
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 20, 2014
          Copper sulfate or copper metal in acid conditions might make a mash green. bobc

          Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 4:33 PM

          I have used the same recipe for years Using same brand cracked corn same amount sugar same nutriants  ITS been 75 degrees for 4 days .Have used same mash barrel for years .Still working good but green tint I have never seen taste is different Any help would be helpful.First time this has happened in 15 years.

        • mrtlad
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 21, 2014
            Do you use Copper?If so it could have oxidized a little.

            try soaking your copper parts with vinegar for a good hour, wash it all off with plenty of water and ensure it's bone dry to minimize the risk of it oxidizing again