rye (or any whiskey) making step by step video

  • worm785
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 18, 2014

      I have a pretty good idea on the mashing, fermenting, etc....involved with making spirits, but am more of a visual learner.  Any good videos out there that are a step by step tutorial?  I have watced all of them on youtube I believe and nothing "scientific" in its entirety can be found.  Thanks.
    • RLB
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 18, 2014
        You can be assured that it's all science.  At your level of experience, you watch Youtube and read Home Distillation of Alcohol (Homemade Alcohol to Drink).   You then experiment making wash using sugar.  When you are comfortable, you move onto grains.  You will learn a lot more by doing rather than reading or watching videos.  TTB track who purchases stills in the US, so make your own still out of a pressure cooker.  Distill tap water your first time, and then your sugar wash.  If you can make beer you can make whiskey.  There is a huge amount of information to learn involving heads, hearts, and tail.  learn what you can about malts, yeast, and grains.  You will learn there is no single perfect way to make whiskey.  If you talk to 10 honest distillers you will find they make their whiskey differently in some manor.  I prefer pot stills with an air cooled condenser, and others prefer a reflex still that is water cooled.  Some people prefer malt extract, and anything other than course ground malted grain is sacrilege to me.  Malt extract gives a more consistent flavor, but malted grains can give you flavors like wines that you can never obtain with extract.

        My advise is to experiment and absorb a huge amount of information, and make whiskey your way rather than copying others.  (Yes, there are start to finish videos on Youtube. 2 parts)  In the end find your own way grasshopper.

        Robert

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 19, 2014
          Ditto,
          I cannot find anything "good " either with full processes , etc. i'm trying to do corn Whiskey and i'm getting booged down in grain and malting for the mash . temeratures , % grai n and % mash and what bricks to expect as a result.
          Any good video would be a big help , even good writen info would help.
          Thanks,

          Douglas French
          Caballeros, Inc./ Scorpion Mezcal sa de cv
          Oaxaca, Mexico
          Tel: 52-951-516-0654
          Destileria: 951-511-5701
          Cel: 951 508 1030