Really Bad Mead

  • jkmccull
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2014

               In July 2012 I made mead using the following recipe:

      • 15 lbs of Honey (5 qts) (all natural)

      • 4 gallons of water

      • 5 teaspoons of yeast nutrient

      • 5 teaspoons of yeast energizer

      • 2 packets of Lalvin 71b-1122 yeast

        After it fermented out, I transferred the wine to a 5 gallon glass carboy and added some white oak strips.  Alcohol content was about 10%. At that time the taste was weak and unpleasant. I let it age in the carboy until July 2013 and I bottled the mead. The taste at that time was much stronger and unpleasant. I read that mead may take quite a few years to age.

        Now after two years of aging the mead still tastes unpleasant. I am considering distilling the mead to see what I get and starting a new batch but I am afraid of getting the same results.

        Should I wait another year to see if the taste improves? OR

        Would any of the more experienced wine makers know what I did wrong and what I can do to fix the bad taste problem?

      Jerry

    • hopefull romantic
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 21, 2014

        I made a Russian imperial style stout which is a very high malt i.e. over 10 pounds per 5 gal mine had almost 14LB and a lot of old frozen hops  as I was making with all my leftovers  did a primary in a 6 gal bottle  to allow some head room and a secondary in a 5 for almost a month before bottling and then put it away and tried one and it tasted like crap so I stuck it in the back of my closet and forgot about it for 3 years and when I found it was really good and do not take my word for that as I brought them to Tampa Necromonicon convention for the igor /ygor party which samples about 300 beers and mine was the overall favorite.

        Magnus