Reflux temp control unmanageable

  • r1eikcam
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4 9:12 PM
      Hey,

      I started a reflux session with everyone going perfectly for approx 5 hours. I had a temp held at 79.8 and the flow was around 1L/hr. I was extremely happy with this as it was my very first attempt at doing a run.

      After the 5 hour mark, the temperature dropped and flow stopped. The temp would fluctuate rapidly between 80 down to as low as 30. Even with the water practically turned off the temp was going down to 30. Not sure what the hell was going on.

      This morning I had another attempt to finish the run and it started well, sitting at 79.8 for about 1 minute and then the massive fluctuations started again. It is driving me MAD. As I am so new to this I have no idea what it could be. I tried pulling the pop scrubber down a bit incase it was causing a blockage up the top but this had no change.

      Any ideas?

      Regards,
      eikcam.
    • jeffrey.burrows
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 6 2:07 AM

        Sounds like a heating problem.
        If you’re using an electric element it sounds like the structural resistance in the actual heating metal of the element is failing.  I.e.  The is breaking connection then remaking.  Just a complicated way of saying the element is buggered.  If you’re using gas check your flame it should be a nice even blue colour for maximum heat.  Yellow will just about melt candle wax no heat for our purposes(check the gas jets)

      • geoffbancr
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 6 6:09 AM
          if its Electric boiler maybe its a thermostat.operating.  i initially had a similar problem. The boiling point slowly rises as the ethanol is driven off.
          Mine starts at 82C and rises to 97C when I give up... the top temp stays at 78.8C throughout,  I run it with a triac controller and the inbuilt thermostat is now bypassed.

          geoff
        • RLB
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 20 4:35 PM
            I know little about the operation of a reflex column, but I was wondering if altitude would cause this problem?  Water boils at 206 F where I live, and I would think that altitude would effect a column temperature.  Just my 2 cent question.

            Robert

            if its Electric boiler maybe its a thermostat.operating.  i initially had a similar problem. The boiling point slowly rises as the ethanol is driven off.
            Mine starts at 82C and rises to 97C when I give up... the top temp stays at 78.8C throughout,  I run it with a triac controller and the inbuilt thermostat is now bypassed.

            geoff

          • mrdoyleprice
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 20 6:03 PM
              If it boils at 206 F where you live, is it around 3000+ ft.  Altitude effects all boiling points.
              I think I missed the question. ????
            • gordon_j_scott
              Message 6 of 6 , May 8, 2014
                Is your column wrapped with insulation? After I wrapped mine, I had much better control.