Changing copper mesh?

  • johnsmith24668
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 5 5:55 PM
      I have a stainless steel, internal element pot still. I have a bit of copper mesh in the condenser to get copper into the vapor path. Are there any suggestions about if/when to put in new copper? I've been rinsing it between runs, and it's looking pretty grey -- but structurally intact.

      Thanks in advance!
    • spdjnky_42
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 5 6:05 PM
        Cant be much, change it. We've got it cheap www.schnappstills.com or ebay ;)

        Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S®III

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 6 1:51 AM
          Hi johnsmit,
          Your copper is fine.  Bright and shiny doesn’t equate to better distillate.  The black you see is like a tarnish, the very early stages of corrosion.  My copper mesh has been black and tarnished for years before each run i just rinse it clean with potable water, but it still is copper.  My product tastes as good as it ever did or so I’m told.  But if you feel the need to change it by all means do so for your peace of mind, at the end of the day you are the one who’s drinking it.
        • geoffbancr
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 6 6:14 AM
            just soak in citric acid it will come up bright, you can use lime or lemon juice.   i clean mine about every third run.  The citric acid actually goes blue copper sulphate colour so it must be taking the sulphate off.

            geoff
          • RLB
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 6 10:57 AM
              If he is worried about the tarnish, he can rinse it in vinegar and lemon juice.

              Robert

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 7 7:00 AM
                So if I clean it every 3 or 4 runs, it will theoretically last forever?

                Another question - if I have a 30" reflux tower how much copper scrubbing material do I need? If I fill tower scrubbers it should increase the reflux, right? Tom

                Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Changing copper mesh?
                To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 8 1:39 AM
                  schnappstills website or Ebay store, you can buy rolls of what diameter you need. They are roughly 6" tall divide that by your columns height. You can clean the copper mesh a few times. It will not last forever, when it stops coming clean or starts to look like its breaking down, throw it away.

                  To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 8 7:06 AM

                    So if I clean it every 3 or 4 runs, it will theoretically last forever?

                    It’ll go away after a while, it just disintegrates.

                  • RLB
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 8 7:19 AM
                      I a perfect world.  Yes, but this isn't a perfect world.

                      Robert

                      So if I clean it every 3 or 4 runs, it will theoretically last forever?