45226Re: [new_distillers] Re: Waterurn as a still?

  • Paulo Jurza
    Aug 26, 2014
      I should probably set a new column, because it is a kind of difficult to draw the wool out, put it back, out, in...

      And in the new colum, I should put a bend neck, to condense the flavours...

      A schem of lock/unlock device should be the best for you.

      About using a water urn with inside element to heat, sometimes the mash could be burnt in the element.

      The wash must be as clean as possible to avoid such problem.

      Cheers,

      Well since posting this question I've read so much more, initially I thought about having an air cooled coil on it.But now I'm having two (very loose) designs in mind.

      1, For sugar mash, so vodka runs. I want to stick a column ( about 50mm * 600-700mm) packed with ss wool and a Leibig condenser to cool down the vapor.

      2. For the whiskey runs I  would have the same set up without the ss wool as I read that to much reflux  would remove lots of the flavours that I'm after for whiskey.

      Would that be doable or would I need a second column interchangeable column for the whiskey runs?

      And the heating elements are about 2.5 to 3 kw in the the water urns i've been looking at, from what I've read that should suffice. "Just" need to bypass the thermostat and autocut off to get it to a continues boil and was going to stick a dimmer on the cord to be able to adjust the output if needed.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic