Re: GIS Extension in 4.1 - Dynamic data files?

  • christina58570
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2009
      Hi Derek - thank you so much for your model! It has been a big help.

      I can definitely see the possibilities of having the turtles ignore coloured patches of different energy values.

      Thanks again,

      Christina
      --------------

      > Hello Christina,
      > My model Learning & Creativity,
      > copy attached which runs in NetLogo 3.1.5 (It was made 3 years ago), should
      > demonstrate some of the possibilities although I do not use GIS and ABM's.
      > Derek.

    • Eric Russell
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 31, 2009
        Hi Christina,

        It is possible to modify a RasterDataset while the model is running
        using the gis:set-raster-value primitive, but there is no built-in way
        to modify a VectorDataset. The GIS extension is designed with a
        particular way of using it in mind, which is to copy all of the GIS data
        to patch variables, turtles, and/or links when the model is set up, and
        then to copy those values into new dataset objects for output when the
        model is finished running, using gis:patch-dataset, gis:turtle-dataset,
        or gis:link-dataset. This approach has its pluses and minuses, which you
        can read about at length in my thesis if you're interested :), but the
        upshot is that if you choose to take a different approach you'll
        probably find that the GIS extension is missing some of the features you
        need (like the ability to modify VectorDatasets).

        Eric

        christina58570 wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > Please excuse this naive question as I am relatively new to both GIS
        > and ABM's!
        >
        > I am looking at modeling animal movement and individual
        > decision-making in a spatially-explicit context. I would really love
        > to use NetLogo to model my agents in a gis-constructed environment.
        >
        > I am currently building the GIS database for my agents to query and
        > access. As my agents move across the landscape, they will also change
        > it (i.e., foraging). Can the GIS extension allow the raster and
        > vector maps to dynamically change and update their attributes/values
        > as the agents migrate?
        >
        > Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated!
        >
        > Thanks very much,
        >
        > Christina
      • christina58570
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2009
          Hi Eric,

          Thank you for your reply! I am glad to know the GIS extension allows raster data files to be modified in real time.

          I would actually like to read your thesis very much to learn all I can.

          Please let me know the best way to contact you,

          Best,

          Christina