Re: Square farms of various sizes using progessive subdivision

  • fraser.morgan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2009
      James,

      Interestingly enough I have been working on something very similar for a model of real estate developer behaviour. I needed a way of creating realistic but random cadastral landscapes for the model of developer behaviour to run upon.

      I implemented a binary space partitioning approach versus the quad-tree approach you use in your model. In the end I found that the most interesting aspect is the (hidden) spatial tree made up of the nodes, which I use for a variety of applications in the wider developer model (such as territoriality).

      Here is a link to an applet of the BSP tree approach I implemented (http://www.sges.auckland.ac.nz/postgraduate/phds/morgan_f/CUPUMConferenceApplet.htm). I presented this aspect at a conference earlier this year and there is also a paper which I can send if you are interested in more detail.

      Cheers

      Fraser

      --- In netlogo-users@yahoogroups.com, James Steiner <gregortroll@...> wrote:

      > http://www.turtlezero.com/models/view.php?model=farms-using-subdivision
      >
      > Here's the concept model that, while not what was being sought, still
      > does something pretty cool and looks neat, too.
      >
      > ~~James

    • James Steiner
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10, 2009
        Nifty! The binary split seems to create more interesting patterns.

        ~~James