predator prey simulations

  • lang.jim61
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2008
      Hi,
      I am planning to simulate the anti predator behaviour of a species and
      wonder if Netlogo is a suitable environment. I need to simulate group
      cohesion, co-operative hunting etc and, as I do not have a great deal
      of programming experience, would appreciate any advice.

      Thanks

      Jim
    • Howard Noble
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2008
        Have you seen the existing predator-prey models in the 'Models Library'
        in NetLogo? (e.g. open NetLogo and presss ctrl-m to go to the models
        library).

        Through the web you can find other predator-prey NL models e.g.:
        Googling "predator prey netlogo" gives:

        http://academic.evergreen.edu/m/mcavityd/NetLogo.htm

        I am also a newbie to NL programming but I am managing to learn the
        language through looking at the NL dictionary and programming guides,
        looking at how other models are coded, and the support through this list
        is really useful.

        Howard

        lang.jim61 wrote:
        > Hi,
        > I am planning to simulate the anti predator behaviour of a species and
        > wonder if Netlogo is a suitable environment. I need to simulate group
        > cohesion, co-operative hunting etc and, as I do not have a great deal
        > of programming experience, would appreciate any advice.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Jim

      • Bergen-Hill, Tobin A.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2008

          Jim:

          For a relevant example, check out the “Wolf Sheep Predation” model in NetLogo’s Model Library, found under the Biology folder.

          --

          Tobin Bergen-Hill

          Lead Simulation Modeling Engineer, E526

          tbergenhill@...

          703-983-3759

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2008
            Thank you very much for the advice.

            JIm

            --- In netlogo-users@yahoogroups.com, "lang.jim61" <lang.jim61@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi,
            > I am planning to simulate the anti predator behaviour of a species
            and
            > wonder if Netlogo is a suitable environment. I need to simulate group
            > cohesion, co-operative hunting etc and, as I do not have a great deal
            > of programming experience, would appreciate any advice.
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Jim

          • Hengeveld, Geerten
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4, 2008
              Hi Jim,

              next to the predator-prey and wolf-sheep examples, there are some
              flocking examples that will improve your flock cohesion. I'm not sure
              for an example on cooperative hunting, but Netlogo would be the ideal
              place to start true agent-based simulations on this! (you'll have to
              figure out the algoritms there by yourself.)

              Geerten