Interactive NetLogo

  • Urbano
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
      Has anyone tried to use NetLogo interacting continuosly with video or
      other input changing data?
      I would like to use NetLogo reacting to on-line video images. How can I
      do that?

      Urbano
    • Shawn Graham
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2006
        Hi Folks,

        I was just wondering - a straw poll I suppose - how
        many people out there are using netlogo for exploring
        archaeological or historical phenomena? I've done a
        few (with varying degrees of sophistication as I get a
        little bit better at netlogo and encounter people who
        are willing to help me out - thanks netlogo-users!),
        and I would be interested in hearing from people so
        that we may compare notes. Specifically, I keep coming
        up against 'black box' syndrome, where I encounter
        resistance to my work ostensibly because "humans are
        too complex for this kind of modeling, and what's
        going on under the hood anyway?".

        Shawn

        http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~grahams

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Samuels, Michael L.
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2006
          Shawn,

          Search around for work by Axtell and his colleagues from the Santa
          Fe Institute. I can dig this up if you have trouble finding
          references. They have done some interesting work on the Anasazi using
          tree-ring dating (Jeff Dean), archaeological survey data (George
          Gumerman) and agent-based models (Axtell, Epstein) whereby the model
          mimics the movement of people based on archaeological evidence over a
          several hundred year period of time.

          Here's a note from Gumerman's web site:

          2000-present
          Research Project
          Jeffrey S. Dean, Joshua M. Epstein, George J. Gumerman, Alan C.
          Swedlund, and Jesse Voss
          "Artificial Anasazi"
          Agent-based modeling is applied to a historical problem: the rise and
          fall of the Anasazi. The participants have combined quantitative
          information on environmental fluctuations with rules of behavior
          expected for Anasazi households to calculate the Anasazi historical
          "trajectory" in unprecedented detail.

          The anti-modeling bias will always be a problem. I did a model of Roy
          Rappaport's "Pigs for the Ancestors" way back in my grad school days in
          the early 80s. It was not agent-based, but the reaction was the same
          you are getting. I asked a professor to read my paper (which I was
          trying to publish) for its anthropological content. He basically said
          no because it was just a model and he couldn't comment on it. I
          pointed out that there was other non-model content, but until he found
          out that I actually got the paper accepted, he wouldn't read it. You
          probably need to find folks who are interested in modeling human
          phenomena and bounce your ideas off of them. The Systems Dynamics
          folks at MIT have applied modeling to human problems - see "The Limits
          to Growth," for example. And they meet lots of resistance. The Santa
          Fe Institute also does a lot of work with this, though not with
          Netlogo. Sociologists seem to be more accepting of modeling than
          anthropologists and historians, though that is probably an unfair
          statement. Good luck!

          Michael Samuels
          msamuels@...

          I was just wondering - a straw poll I suppose - how
          many people out there are using netlogo for exploring
          archaeological or historical phenomena? I've done a
          few (with varying degrees of sophistication as I get a
          little bit better at netlogo and encounter people who
          are willing to help me out - thanks netlogo-users!),
          and I would be interested in hearing from people so
          that we may compare notes. Specifically, I keep coming
          up against 'black box' syndrome, where I encounter
          resistance to my work ostensibly because "humans are
          too complex for this kind of modeling, and what's
          going on under the hood anyway?".

          Shawn

          http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~grahams

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Newman, Chris
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2006
            With an almost total lack of skill, but I use NetLogo to model revolutions
            and Mississippian (Cahokia, USA) civilizations.
            Chris Newman

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2006
              Hi - Im using it to model behaviour of claimants and defendants in injury -insurance claims - is that relevant?

              David

              Shawn Graham <bristolvillage@...> wrote:

              Hi Folks,

              I was just wondering - a straw poll I suppose - how
              many people out there are using netlogo for exploring
              archaeological or historical phenomena? I've done a
              few (with varying degrees of sophistication as I get a
              little bit better at netlogo and encounter people who
              are willing to help me out - thanks netlogo-users! ),
              and I would be interested in hearing from people so
              that we may compare notes. Specifically, I keep coming
              up against 'black box' syndrome, where I encounter
              resistance to my work ostensibly because "humans are
              too complex for this kind of modeling, and what's
              going on under the hood anyway?".

              Shawn

              http://home. cc.umanitoba. ca/~grahams

              Do You Yahoo!?
              http://mail. yahoo.com

              David Imber BA Cantab
              01392 881 525
              0787 067 1047

              All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you.

            • Marco Janssen
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006

                I used Netlogo last Spring for my class on computer simulation in the social sciences. Quite a number of students where archaeology students (see their projects on http://www.public.asu.edu/~majansse/edu/csiss/asbcse591projects2006.htm ). Next time I will use Repast next to Netlogo for those who like to have more comprehensive models.

                Dr. Marco A. Janssen

                and

                School of Computing and Informatics

                Arizona State University

                Office: Matthews Hall 108A

                Phone: 480 965 1369

                Fax: 480 965 7671

                Mail address:

                Arizona State University

                PO Box 872402

                Tempe, AZ 85287-2402

                Email:Marco.Janssen@...

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 6, 2006

                    Netlogo is a userfriendly language, but has therefore limitations as one uses the primitives to program your model. It also has serious computational limitations when models become more advanced. Repast is mainly a library of java objects, and you can define more java objects in line with your requirements. In fact you are programming in java instead in a language on top of java (like in Netlogo). By definition you can therefore only model in Netlogo a subset of the models possible in Repast. A drawback of Repast is the steeper learning curve.

                    Marco

                    ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 9, 2006
                      "Marco Janssen" <Marco.Janssen@...> writes:

                      > Netlogo is a userfriendly language, but has therefore limitations as one
                      > uses the primitives to program your model.

                      There is the Java Extension API for NetLogo, which allows you to write
                      new primitives in Java. It does have limitations, but it's existance
                      makes it difficult to support the general form of your assertion
                      above. In short, I disagree that there is a fundamental opposition
                      between user-friendly and powerful. My experience with Lisp/Scheme
                      variants has shown that simplicity of expression and composition can
                      be paired with great power of computation and implementation.

                      > It also has serious computational limitations when models become
                      > more advanced. Repast is mainly a library of java objects, and you
                      > can define more java objects in line with your requirements. In fact
                      > you are programming in java instead in a language on top of java
                      > (like in Netlogo).

                      I think RePast's advantages have less to do with wether one is writing
                      in Java or an interpretor on top of Java, and more to do with the
                      excellent design of RePast's framework. I have been struck by the
                      ease of composition, and the flexibility of the scheduler and other
                      classes when using RePast, in the past, nyuknyuk.

                      I was also very impressed by the presentation of the new verion of the
                      "very model of a modern Java API/toolkit" given by the RePast team
                      here at CCL. The use of Aspect Oriented techniques and reflection
                      allow one to construct specialized data structures and harneses for
                      models.

                      --
                      Craig Brozefsky <craig@...>
                      NetLogo Hacker Center for Connected Learning