Re: Mono font?

  • Owen Densmore
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2005
      Hi James. Thanks for your note.

      From your note, I'd say this is a Mac problem .. on the Mac, the font
      is definitely a variable pitch font.

      Here are two images of the output window, the first with multiple
      blanks being used to align the data into a table.
      http://backspaces.net/files/NetLogo002.jpg
      It should look like this:
      R S T P AC AD T4 Mo HR Sa NM NN Ps GM MS D AC AD T4 Mo HR Sa NM NN
      2 0 3 1 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 40 15 30 1 6 0 13 20 1 0 0 0
      2 0 3 1 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 40 15 30 1 11 2 26 0 0 0 1 0
      2 0 3 1 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 40 15 30 1 8 0 0 32 0 0 0 0
      2 0 3 1 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 40 15 30 1 0 6 0 0 31 0 3 0
      2 0 3 1 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 40 15 30 1 0 10 0 0 22 0 8 0
      The second using tabs, which turn out to be too large to be useful, so
      also cannot be used for formatting into table form:
      http://backspaces.net/files/NetLogo003.jpg

      I basically just gave up and use a single blank between fields, which
      looks like this:
      http://backspaces.net/files/NetLogo004.jpg

      -- Owen

      Owen Densmore - http://backspaces.net - http://redfish.com -
      owen@...

      On May 1, 2005, at 3:36 AM, netlogo-users@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > Message: 1
      > Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 09:43:49 -0400
      > From: James Steiner <gregortroll@...>
      > Subject: Re: Mono font?
      >
      > On my system (windows xp), both the output window and the command
      > center are
      > in something similar to courier new, a fixed-pitch font. They both
      > look like
      > this:
      >
      > R S T P AC AD T4 Mo HR Sa NM NN Ps GM MS D AC AD T4 Mo HR Sa NM NN
      > 2 0 3 1 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 40 15 30 1 6 0 13 20 1 0 0 0
      >
      > Whereas with a proportional-pitch font, like Verdana, I would expect
      > it to
      > look like like this:
      > R S T P AC AD T4 Mo HR Sa NM NN Ps GM MS D AC AD T4 Mo HR Sa NM NN
      > 2 0 3 1 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 40 15 30 1 6 0 13 20 1 0 0 0
      >
      > What system are you using?
      >
      > Your main option is to figure out how many extra spaces it will take
      > to make
      > the columns line up right, then insert that many spaces as needed. You
      > could
      > store the extra spaces layout in a list, along with your headers.
      >
      > Hope this helps,
      > ~~James
    • Owen Densmore
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2005
        It occurred to me that the mac font used by netlogo could be set in the
        Info.plist file? It has several properties like:
        <key>Properties</key>
        <dict>
        <key>apple.awt.use-file-dialog-packages</key>
        <string>true</string>
        <key>com.apple.macos.useScreenMenuBar</key>
        <string>true</string>
        </dict>
        <key>VMOptions</key>
        <string>-XX:+PrintJavaStackAtFatalState -Xms16M -Xmx512M</string>

        Basically the question is: how does netlogo/java choose the default
        font to use? Is it something I can set either in the mac system prefs
        or in java/netlogo prefs?

        Being able to set the tab width would be just as good, if not better:
        Is there a property in netlogo for setting tab widths?

        Sorry if this is spam, but I'd love to fix this if possible.

        On Apr 30, 2005, at 11:34 AM, Owen Densmore wrote:

        > It also occurred to me to ask if the tab width could be set?
        >
        > This might actually be more useful but either would be fine. I
        > suspect the simplest solution would be to allow editing the output or
        > command windows just as we do for buttons etc, with some of the
        > options being tab size and font parameters.
        >
        > -- Owen
        >
        > On Apr 29, 2005, at 9:08 PM, Owen Densmore wrote:
        >> I'm trying to print out tables of values in either an output window
        >> or the command console that looks like this:
        >>
        >> R S T P AC AD T4 Mo HR Sa NM NN Ps GM MS D AC AD T4 Mo HR Sa NM NN
        >> 2 0 3 1 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 40 15 30 1 6 0 13 20 1 0 0 0
        >> 2 0 3 1 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 40 15 30 1 11 2 26 0 0 0 1 0
        >> 2 0 3 1 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 40 15 30 1 8 0 0 32 0 0 0 0
        >> 2 0 3 1 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 40 15 30 1 0 6 0 0 31 0 3 0
        >> 2 0 3 1 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 40 15 30 1 0 10 0 0 22 0 8 0
        >>
        >> Alas, in both, the font is not monospaces, so comes out goofy.
        >>
        >> How do I deal with this?
        >>
        >> -- Owen

      • Seth Tisue
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2005

          Owen> Basically the question is: how does netlogo/java choose the
          Owen> default font to use? Is it something I can set either in the mac
          Owen> system prefs or in java/netlogo prefs?
          Owen> Being able to set the tab width would be just as good, if not
          Owen> better: Is there a property in netlogo for setting tab widths?

          There's no way to set either the font or the tab width (at least without
          resorting to custom Java code that uses undocumented hooks; if you're
          desperate enough to want to resort to that, write me off-list)

          It's a bug that the output area and command center aren't in a fixed
          width font on Macs. We'll definitely fix it for the next release.

          --
          Seth Tisue / seth@... / (847) 467-2814
          lead developer, NetLogo http://ccl.northwestern.edu/netlogo/