Re: [netlogo-users] compiler

  • Seth Tisue
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004

      Michael> Is there a compiler available that would allow one to run
      Michael> behavior-space style monte carlo simulations outside of the
      Michael> interface/interpreter? It would probably help a great deal
      Michael> with speed issues.

      NetLogo 2.1 will have support for running "headless" (from the command
      line, with no GUI). But you don't get any speed benefit to speak of,
      that you can't already get in the GUI by using the "freeze display"
      switch on the graphics window or doing the model run in BehaviorSpace.

      We do hope to rewrite NetLogo's compiler to target Java byte code, which
      should speed up the language a lot. The speed benefit will be available
      regardless of whether you're running in the GUI or running headless. I
      can't predict when this will be done, though.

      --
      Seth Tisue / seth@... / (847) 467-2814
      lead developer, NetLogo http://ccl.northwestern.edu/netlogo/
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2004

        I would strongly encourage you to add a compiler.  I realize that this makes life a great more difficult in terms of future development but it would help research use considerably.

        Thanks for all you have done and your willingness to share.

        Dick Schoney

        Professor of Agricultural Economics

        University of Saskatchewan