running models online

  • Tim Brown
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2002
      Hi,

      Is there a faq somewhere for how to post a netlogo
      model online? i.e., how to bundle everything,
      directory structure, etc.

      Thanks,

      Tim

      http://sports.yahoo.com
    • Seth Tisue
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 7, 2002

        Tim> Hi, Is there a faq somewhere for how to post a netlogo model
        Tim> online? i.e., how to bundle everything, directory structure,
        Tim> etc.

        We plan to add a "Save as Applet..." feature to NetLogo in a future
        version that makes this as easy as we can make it. It won't happen in
        version 1.0, but it is a high priority feature for us, so you can
        expect it in the next release after that.

        In the meantime, though, you can still do it, but with some tinkering.
        Here's how:

        Make a new directory on your web server and store the following items
        in it:

        docs (directory)
        models (directory)
        nLogo.jar (file)
        nLogo.cab (file)
        swingall.jar (file)

        All of these files and directories are in the version of NetLogo that
        you downloaded. Finally, add to the directory a file called
        "index.html" whose contents you can download from this URL:

        http://ccl.northwestern.edu/netlogo/applet/index.html

        Now if you access the index.html file through the web, NetLogo
        will run.

        But you don't just want NetLogo to run, you want your model to open
        up! In order to make that happen, you need to edit the index.html
        file. Change the line that says:

        <param name="DefaultModel" value="/nLogo/resources/system/NewModel.nlogo">

        by substituting the full URL of your model in between the second set
        of double quotes. For example:

        <param name="DefaultModel" value="http://mydomain.com/mymodel.nlogo">

        You can also customize the Models Library by taking our models out if
        you want and putting your own in. To do this, just add and remove
        stuff from the models directory, then edit the "index.txt" file
        in the models directory to reflect your changes. (Some instructions
        are at the top of the file itself.)

        If you have any trouble, feel free to contact the NetLogo team at
        feedback@....

        Again, this will all get easier in the not-too-distant future.

        Seth Tisue / seth@... / (847) 467-2814
        lead developer, NetLogo http://ccl.northwestern.edu/netlogo/
        Center for Connected Learning and Computer-Based Modeling
        School of Education and Social Policy / Department of Computer Science
        Northwestern University