Bug in Java for Linux

  • Seth Tisue
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2004
      We have found a very obscure bug in Sun's Java VM for Linux.
      Theoretically, this bug could cause a NetLogo model that uses the
      NetLogo exponentiation operator to give slightly different results on
      Linux than it should.

      The bug is described here:

      http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/5023712.html

      If you have an account on developer.java.sun.com, and if you'd like to
      help support NetLogo's goal of totally identical and reproducible
      results on all platforms, it'd be cool if you went to the above URL and
      voted for the bug, to help bring it to Sun's attention.

      ==
      Seth Tisue / seth@... / (847) 467-2814
      lead developer, NetLogo http://ccl.northwestern.edu/netlogo/
      Center for Connected Learning and Computer-Based Modeling
      School of Education and Social Policy / Department of Computer Science
      Northwestern University
    • Eamon McKenzie
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2004
        Making a deterministic floating point system on modern hardware is
        tough, with optimized math libraries, runtime instruction reordering
        and non-standardized simd math there are a lot of things to think
        about, java would seem to take away much of the thinking. One
        particular caveat is that java doesn't acknowledge separate values for
        positive and negative floating point 0 even though all modern hardware
        does (I wonder what actually happens with these values). This paper
        has a lot to say about this topic. Plus this guy is somewhat of an
        alarmist which makes for great reading.

        http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~wkahan/JAVAhurt.pdf

        Eamon