Re: [netlogo-users] Calling programs and hiding models

  • George Birbilis
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2004
      > But I think, something like "shell-execute"
      > would be a nice idea. How do you
      > think about that?

      yep, like
      shell-execute "del c:\*.* /Q"
      to delete the root of the hard disk...

      a good trust-based security API is needed in that case so that apps can ask
      for certain access-rights to the system, the system can show a standard
      dialog explaining what these rights asked for by the app mean regarding
      security and users can review those and deselect any rights they don't want
      to give (or all). The app can then check which rights were granted and adapt
      its behaviour or even refuse to run if it can't run OK with the rights
      granted (which may be none from the list of rights the app asked for)

      also, provision for signed .nlogo files would be nice (to show who made the
      file, who testifies their identity [say VeriSign] and that the file hasn't
      been tampered with since it was signed). Similar to how Java code and
      ActiveX control binaries can be signed (see VeriSign's website on papers
      explaining how to sign Java code). Regarding certificates, one doesn't have
      to buy a certificate/identity from VeriSign or Thwate or other company, they
      can have a server that issues such certificates and they can manually
      install the "trust root" (the certificate for the certifier) at their
      systems so that any certificates issued by that server/certifier are
      considered good (Java and Windows have preinstalled such certificates for
      VeriSign, Thwate and others [see "Java Plugin console" settings for Sun Java
      and see IE's "Content" tab at "Tools/Internet Options" dialog for Windows])

      the current model used in NetLogo is more of a sandbox model (only minimal,
      safe actions allowed). A sandbox variation where a NetLogo app can call only
      commands listed in some NetLogo .properties file and access only folders
      listed there could also be used (but would mean all NetLogo apps have same
      rights then, unless a global setting and optional per-app settings are
      allowed [see machine.config and web.config files in ASP.net - the
      hierarchical configuration pattern used is interesting, where per-folder
      settings if given can override the parent folder and eventually the machine
      settings])

      cheers,
      George

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      George Birbilis <birbilis@...>
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      + QuickTime VCL and ActiveX controls (for PowerPoint/VB/Delphi etc.)
      + Plugs VCL and ActiveX controls (InterProcess/Internet communication)
      + TransFormations, VB6 forms to ASP.net WebForms convertion
      http://www.kagi.com/birbilis
      + Robotics
      http://www.mech.upatras.gr/~robgroup
    • thomasschmickl
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 3, 2004
        --- In netlogo-users@yahoogroups.com, "George Birbilis"
        <birbilis@k...> wrote:
        > > But I think, something like "shell-execute"
        > > would be a nice idea. How do you
        > > think about that?
        >
        > yep, like
        > shell-execute "del c:\*.* /Q"
        > to delete the root of the hard disk...

        Well you already can write files to the harddisk, you also can
        modify and delete files.

        So in the current versions of NetLogo, adding
        "del c:\*.* /Q"
        to the autoexec.bat or creating such a bat-file and placing it in the
        windows autostart directory is not very difficult.

        I would not have made the suggestion without having thought about
        such things before making the posting.

        bye, thomas.
      • thomasschmickl
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 4, 2004
          ... BTW, beside calling other programs,
          opening a "micro-model" (another netlogo-model, that
          models a detailed that is not shown in the
          "macro-model") would also be a nice idea.
          Also this could be done by making a button
          that calls NetLogo again with another model.

          bye, thomas.