NetLogo 1.0 X 1.1

  • Ricardo Machado Ruiz
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2002
      Hello,

      I would like to know why Netlogo 1.1 updates graphics so slowly. I run the
      same model in Netlogo 1.1 and 1.0. Netlogo 1.0 took 5’34” to run the model
      100 times. For the same period of time, Netlogo 1.1. got just 40 runs. It
      seems the Netlogo 1.1 is slower than 1.0 because of the way it updates
      graphics. Is it right? What is wrong? Anyway, I am back to 1.0 version.

      Ricardo
    • Seth Tisue
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 10, 2002
        --- In netlogo-users@y..., "Ricardo Machado Ruiz" <ricardo.ruiz2@g...>
        wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I would like to know why Netlogo 1.1 updates graphics so slowly. I
        run the
        > same model in Netlogo 1.1 and 1.0. Netlogo 1.0 took 5'34" to run the
        model
        > 100 times. For the same period of time, Netlogo 1.1. got just 40
        runs. It
        > seems the Netlogo 1.1 is slower than 1.0 because of the way it updates
        > graphics. Is it right? What is wrong? Anyway, I am back to 1.0 version.

        1.1 should not have slower graphics than 1.0 -- at least, we don't
        know of any reason why it should, and haven't experienced this
        ourselves.

        What operating system and version, and Java VM version, are you
        running 1.0 and 1.1 under? You can get this information from the
        "About NetLogo" dialog.

        If you're running on Windows, make sure you are using the IBM 1.1 Java
        VM. (This is the VM that is bundled if you choose the "with VM"
        download option.) NetLogo graphics are much faster -- not just a
        little -- with this VM than any other Windows VM. (We're hoping to
        remove this discrepancy in a future version of NetLogo, but it's a
        difficult problem...)

        If that's not the problem, contact us at bugs@...
        and we'll try and help troubleshoot further. There could be a bug
        that is triggered by something specific about your model.

        ==
        Seth Tisue / seth@... / (847) 467-2814
        lead developer, NetLogo http://ccl.northwestern.edu/netlogo/
        Center for Connected Learning and Computer-Based Modeling
        School of Education and Social Policy / Department of Computer Science
        Northwestern University