Re: [netlogo-users] Pages

  • George Birbilis
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2003
      > ... thing that is missing is a programmatic way for NetLogo to load
      > another model, so one could implement model navigation in the model
      > interface itself. Then you could have "TOC", "next" "prev", etc.

      I second that as a very useful feature

      anyway, regarding "reusing code" in many models, one problem is that without
      any notion of code/routine libraries you have to copy-paste routines from
      one model to another, thus in the future when you fix a bug at a routine,
      you have to find all the worlds where you had pasted it into and fix them
      too

      but of course, using libraries might indeed mean that a fix in a library
      routine used by many worlds, might be "buggy" in some of the worlds, while
      working in the other ones (so you might have to test all the worlds using
      it, or do "unit testing" at each routine [have a set of tests that check the
      function works as it's supposed to] and have very good
      specification/documentation of what each library routine is supposed to do)

      another thing with "shared" libraries is you need to have versioning, that
      is if a world was using V1.0 of a library and at V2.0 you remove a function
      or modify the params of the function, that world (that you had shiped to
      people previously to releasing the new version of that library that might
      ship with newer worlds) will break. So you have to have namespaces and
      different versions of libraries being able to coexist (with worlds requiring
      >=Version x and <=Version y [with option for y=infinite] of a library) etc.

      so maybe indeed that's too much for non-professional users and can scare
      them away and minimize world-files exchange (unless there's installer-maker
      tool in NetLogo to pack all needed libs with a world, plus also have
      versioning scheme as I said above to allow coexistence of many versions of
      the same library, if a world requires a certain library version range)

      George Birbilis <birbilis@...>
      + QuickTime VCL and ActiveX controls (for PowerPoint/VB/Delphi etc.)
      + Plugs VCL and ActiveX controls (InterProcess/Internet communication)
      + TransFormations, VB6 forms to ASP.net WebForms convertion
      http://www.kagi.com/birbilis
      + Robotics
      http://www.mech.upatras.gr/~robgroup