The immigrant questions.

  • c cxsm
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2003

      The immigrant questions.

      How many people will actually dream of, let alone actually do the menial jobs they do abroad (due to lack of opportunities and barriers), if they were in their own countries?

      How many people will work as diligently as they do in present jobs, were they employed in similar jobs in their own countries?

      How many people will take the crap that's sometimes dished out to them because of their racial, national, skin colour or accent differences, were they in their own countries?

      How many of those people who wake up at ungodly hours to beat traffic, sit in traffic for hours, then go through the same traffic to get back home yet consider it a part of life, will actually consider it a part of life, were they to endure similar inconveniences in their own countries?

      How many people will actually live above their means and accumulate debts and loans because they want to accumulate the so-called conveniences of life, were they in their own countries?

      Sometimes we denigrate our own countries, blame our governments and every other available scapegoat because of financial pursuits. Is this what life is really about? Before we continue spewing negativity on our nation, we should really assess our values, our purpose in life, our goals, and then ask ourselves "what really have we achieved?" Is this what we really set out to accomplish? Are we on the right path? Is there room for change? Can we export what we have learnt back home to help those who do not know the realities of life abroad, and usually deem it a paradise?

      How can we help our country to be a better nation, with all the great or small benefits {educational, experience, ambition, sense of purpose, character building attributes (strengths, endurance, longsuffering)} etc. that we were equipped with when we left for the Diaspora, what can we contribute or give back to help those who are struggling to find a way? What can we do to contribute to a positive image of our nation? Can we set personal pursuits aside for the good of the nation? Can we make the same sacrifices we make in the Diaspora to restore glory back to our country?

      Just a thought.
      cxsm
      7th Oct. '03
      � cxsm 2003