Re: Nina Simone Remembered

  • qtm869
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2003
      Thank you so much for your remembrance Mr. Cassell, it means a lot to
      me. I am very fascinated with the 70s in general, especially in
      regards to pan-african cultural explosition. I think even Mariam
      Makeba mentioned in her autobiography of sending her daughter to
      school in Liberia during the seventies while she lived in Guinea and
      looking forward to her visits with Nina. I am sure fans around the
      world would love to know if any of her live performances there, in the
      motherland was ever captured on tape and possibly resurface as CD one
      day. Hope to read one day an article on her stay in Monrovia and
      possibly some comments from a lady like Miatta Fahnbulleh who probably
      knew her well.

      I am aware of the difficulties that Liberia is facing today, but I am
      confident that one day a cultural and economic renaissance will take
      place once again international artist will return. And hopefully when
      they do someone will have the vision to remember Nina's contribution
      and open a world class jazz club in her honor, so that the world will
      remember that once upon a time a great had so much love in her heart
      and decided to live in a once sacred land built by Gods Command.

      --- In net-liberia@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Cassell" <jomocass@h...>
      wrote:
      > Yes, I remembered those years when Nina lived in Liberia. She moved
      within Liberia' s elite circle during those years; going to functions
      hosted by then President Tolbert and consorting with the movers and
      shakers within the corridors of Liberia political power during those
      days. Her hits "To be young gifted and black" and "Save me" were
      staples on Liberian radio during the early 70s, so when she came to
      Liberia she was already a household name , of sorts. From what I w
      told during those days, she was the life of every party she attended.

      YOU,
      > but in it she relates leaving in Liberia during the mid-seventies
      and
      > almost marrying the legendary politician C.C Dennis Sr.
      >
      > I wonder what the music scene was like during those years and if
      > anyone in particular remembers Nina's stay in the cou
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • qtm869
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2003
        Just read this article about Nina Simone's funeral and there is a
        strong possibility that her ashes may be spread over Liberia.

        NINA SIMONE...1933-2003

        Some 300 mourners flocked to this southern French town on Friday to
        pay their last respects to legendary US jazz and blues singer Nina
        Simone, who died earlier this week at the age of 70.
        South African singer Miriam Makeba, a close friend of Simone, was
        among those in attendance at the funeral in the Our Lady of the
        Assumption church at Carry-le-Rouet, just west of the port city of
        Marseille.
        "She was not only an artist but also a freedom fighter," Makeba said
        before taking a seat inside the church close to Simone's 36-year-old
        daughter Lisa for the ceremony.
        Simone, who was born Eunice Waymon to a poor black family in the US
        state of North Carolina in 1933, died on Monday of natural causes in
        Carry-le-Rouet, where she lived for the last eight years of her life.
        The singer, known as one of the last great jazz divas, was also a
        committed civil rights activist in the United States during the 1950s
        and 1960s, fighting oppression as a black woman from the segregated
        southern states.
        The funeral ceremony began with a recording of Jacques Brel's "Ne me
        quitte pas" (Don't Leave Me), which Simone had incorporated into her
        repertoire.
        "We were the greatest and I love you," read a message from British pop
        star Elton John, nestled in an arrangement of yellow roses on the
        church's altar.
        "Of course Nina wasn't perfect, but she fought for the rights of
        blacks in the United States, and for that reason alone, I'm sure she's
        up above now. Thank you, Nina," Father Guy de Fatto, a former jazz
        bassist, told mourners.
        "She loved France and the French. I ask you not to let her memory
        fade. Talk about her, listen to her music," said her visibly moved
        daughter Lisa, before singing a gospel hymn. Simone's daughter --
        known professionally as Simone -- is currently starring in John's
        Broadway production of "Aida."
        Memorial services are to be held in New York and in Simone's home town
        of Tryon, North Carolina, for all those who could not attend Friday's
        ceremony, according to Javier Collados, the assistant to Simone's
        manager.
        Simone was to be cremated later in the day in Marseille, with only her
        immediate family present. At her request, family members will spread
        her ashes in several African countries, Collados said.
        The singer, who later became known as the "High Priestess of Soul,"
        started playing piano at age four and went on to study at New York's
        prestigious Juilliard School of Music to become a classical pianist.
        She changed her name to Nina Simone -- the surname in honor of French
        actress Simone Signoret -- and cut her first records in the late
        1950s, making a career not only as a nightclub singer but as a
        pianist, arranger and composer.
        Simone scored her first major hit with her rendition of "I Loves You
        Porgy," from the George Gershwin opera "Porgy and Bess".
        (This article was originally published on LYCOS News April 25, 2003)

        xxxxxxxxx