RE: [Chat-AfriK] President Bush To Visit Nigeria? -- Nccny

  • Leopold O. V. Enwonwu
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2002
      I don't know if you are of this world. However, I do think it is worth the
      while of every right thinking Nigerian to discourage any reasonable world
      figure from visiting Nigeria. My reasons are as follows:

      Firstly, Nigeria in the early seventies implemented the Indeginisation
      Decree, chased away foreigners in the make-belief that we will become
      politically independent only after attaining economic independence by
      stealing their investments. How wrong have we found ourselves as the goods
      in C.F.A.O., Kingsway, Leventis, G.B.O., etc. ran out and since then, no
      fresh supplies have been forthcoming! As if we had not learnt enough, with
      the Land Use Decree, General Obasanjo cutoff Nigeria from the rest of the
      world, financially. Section 1 of the Land Use Decree (now Act), provides
      that all land in each state shall be held on trust for all Nigerians by the
      Governor of such state. In essence, foreign banks/businessmen who earlier
      relied on the Crown Lands Act and such other provisions of Nigerian law that
      allowed a foreigner to hold an interest in land for a term of 25 years (or
      more years) as collateral for financial transactions can no longer lend
      money or provide credit based on property in Nigeria. In effect, it is a
      reversal of such laws that encourage economic activities in Nigeria, not the
      visit of any head of state or president . You know very well as much as I
      do, that President Bush cannot force any American investor to invest one
      cent in Nigeria with such laws that fail to provide any assurance for
      financial transactions. More so, with the Miss World pageant incident, and
      other continued violations of human rights provisions, Nigeria today, is
      probably the last place I will wish on my worst enemy.

      If we love Nigeria, we should be organizing ourselves to demonstrate our
      opposition to the wrong doings in our homeland. Silence will not avail us,
      as all is not well with Nigeria. It therefore behooves us to go to the
      rooftops, and form there, protest our disgust as loud as we can, so that if
      George Bush can hear us, then he will realize indeed, that he goes to
      Nigeria at his own risk.

      Leo.

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2002
        Dear Mr. Samuel Onipede,

        I am surprised you pretend not to understand my writing. You cannot separate
        a country from its president. And, we cannot exclude ourselves from Nigeria
        (if we continue to hold Nigerian citizenship). As such, we cannot (to borrow
        from you), subject future generations of Nigerians to the unforgivable wrath
        of the good American people by suggesting exposing their President to
        Nigerian Terrorists. This is the main reason why George Bush must stay away
        from Nigeria at this point in time.

        Yes, there is no doubt that Nigeria has serious economic needs. However,
        Bill Clinton's Democratic party presidency, [the first "Black" President of
        the United States], did not solve Nigeria's economic disaster. Equally so,
        the George Bush Republican government will not solve our economic problems.
        Whatever be the case, you do not invite another country's leader to your
        home when it is clear that part of your country support his declared enemy -
        the Taliban/Terrorism. Since Nigeria cannot provide basic security for his
        safety, Nigeria is in no position to invite George Bush to visit. Period!

        In as much as Americans do not believe in transferred malice, I will hate to
        be branded a citizen of a country in which a U.S. President was
        assassinated. In fact, we will have hell to pay for ever and ever, if such
        an event were to occur. We have not forgotten that only recently, Northern
        Muslims clearly indicated their support for Bin Ladin and his jihad by
        killing Christians in the North when the U.S. moved into Afghanistan. And,
        for all we can tell, Bin Ladin may be hiding in Nigeria today.

        Again, if all General Obasanjo had to say in regard to the very recent
        irresponsible slaughter of Christians is that the Muslims were provoked by a
        purportedly irresponsible publication that: Prophet Mohammed if alive may
        have taken one of the pageant contestants as his bride, then I would hate to
        leave my fate in his hands. By definition in both the Nigerian Criminal and
        Penal Codes, any unwarranted killings is a felony. By the native customary
        belief of Southern Nigerians, the killing of a neighbor, friend, relation,
        etc., demands self exile in atonement for this crime against mother Earth.
        In my study of Nigerian law, I was not exposed to any teaching holding an
        "irresponsible publication against religious belief" as rising to such a
        level of provocation that it constitutes a defense to a misdemeanor, what
        more the crime of murder. Neither has any law professor opined that malice
        may be transferred from a journalist so as to justify the killing of poor
        and unsuspecting standers-by. When President Obasanjo, Nigeria's Head of
        State and Chief Executive, puts up such a defense for the unwarranted
        killing of innocent Southerners by their Northerners Muslim brethren, it
        becomes obvious how such terroristic acts are carried out with impunity in
        Northern Nigeria.

        Let us respect the fact that in all likelihood, attempt on the life of
        George Bush will be made if he sets foot in Nigeria. I am yet to find any
        reason why our Muslim brethren who have since pledged their lives to the
        service of Islamic wars will not, if availed opportunity, kill George Bush,
        the number one declared enemy of violent Muslim fundamentalists.

        In light of the fact that we now reside here in the United States mostly
        because we find that our homeland fails to avail us the rights to life,
        liberty, and pursuit of happiness; in light of the fact that many Nigerian
        families depend on income earned by kit and kin here in the United States
        for their existence; I will resist any acts that will disrupt the peace and
        quite I enjoy here. Moreover, pretending the killings in the North did not
        happen will not prevent future occurrence. If General Obasanjo is passed by,
        if Nigeria is not visited by a Republican President of America, perhaps
        Nigerians back home will begin to learn that the rule of law has its values,
        and that actions have repercussions.