Re: Rex Stout's Descriptions of Mr. Wolfe and Archie

  • talkchat12
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
      I agree. Archie's mental age is certainly greater than his physical
      age. He has learnt alot and learnt fast.

      I see no reason why Hutton's age should be an issue at this point. If
      he were perhaps in his 60's then yes, it may be a problem.

      --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah P." <Flippitygibbit@...>
      wrote:

      > Do people 'see' Archie as a 'young' man, then? I know he is forever
      in
      > his early 30s, but I interpret him as being mentally older than his
      > actual years - a slightly jaded personality, street wise and tough,
      not
      > exactly office junior material! [;)] I don't have a problem with
      > Timothy Hutton, therefore, because I don't think looking 'young' is
      > prerequisite of the character. And Hutton does look a lot younger
      than
      > his years!
      >
      > I know that characters like Cramer refer to Archie as 'son' and the
      > like, but that's just relative age differences - Stout must have
      chosen
      > to put Archie in his early 30s for a reason, such as he's not too
      old to
      > attract the women and chase around New York for Wolfe, but he's
      also old
      > enough to have gained experience (of his own, and working for
      Wolfe) to
      > use in his job.
      >
      > Sarah
      >

      > > I have to agree. Although TH has never looked his age, he was
      pushing
      > it doing Archie at 42. I don't think he could do Archie now. If the
      ItBF
      > script is ever done at this point, I think Hutton might have to
      resign
      > himself to simply directing someone else as Archie.

    • talkchat12
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006