Re: [NeroWolfe] Chip Harrison

  • Bob Byrd
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 5, 2005
      I've read both of them. (i think there are only 2). they were fun, tho
      I'm not sure a non Stout fan would enjoy them as much. I enjoyed
      watching Mr. Haig try his best to act like Wolfe. I found my copies on
      Ebay--i think they're out of print.

      captcaffeine2004 wrote:

      > Greetings To All: Has anyone in the group ever read any of
      > Lawrence Block's "Chip Harrison" series? It's about a Nero/Archie
      > pair knockoff where a Mr. Haig is the "new" Mr. Wolfe and the "new"
      > Archie is this Chip Harrison guy. In fact, I hear that the books
      > actually pay quite a bit of homage to Stout's characters (and insist
      > that they actually exist). Haig and Chip believe that one day Wolfe
      > & Archie will congratulate them on a job well done. If anyone has
      > read these books your input and opinion would be appreciated.
      > These books were written from 1970 thru' 1975 . VINNY, in
      > Texas

      > Mystery author
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Mystery+author&w1=Mystery+author&c=1&s=20&.sig=Uj10IpOz1rjzcwEGDpDSkw>

    • haskd89052
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 6, 2005
        Off the top of my head, I can remember at least three titles, The
        Topless Tulip Caper, Make Out With Murder and No Score.

        Hask

        --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, Bob Byrd <bbyrd8@b...> wrote:

        > I've read both of them. (i think there are only 2). they were
        fun, tho
        > I'm not sure a non Stout fan would enjoy them as much. I enjoyed
        > watching Mr. Haig try his best to act like Wolfe. I found my
        copies on
        > Ebay--i think they're out of print.
        >
        > captcaffeine2004 wrote:
        >
        > > Greetings To All: Has anyone in the group ever read any of
        > > Lawrence Block's "Chip Harrison" series? It's about a
        Nero/Archie
        > > pair knockoff where a Mr. Haig is the "new" Mr. Wolfe and
        the "new"
        > > Archie is this Chip Harrison guy. In fact, I hear that the
        books
        > > actually pay quite a bit of homage to Stout's characters (and
        insist
        > > that they actually exist). Haig and Chip believe that one day
        Wolfe
        > > & Archie will congratulate them on a job well done. If anyone
        has
        > > read these books your input and opinion would be
        appreciated.
        > > These books were written from 1970 thru' 1975 .
        VINNY, in
        > > Texas

        > > Mystery author
        > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=Mystery+author&w1=Mystery+author&c=1&s=20&.sig=Uj10IpOz1rjzcwE
        GDpDSkw>

        subject=Unsubscribe>

        of

        -------

      • Dorothy Young
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 6, 2005
          There is an omnibus volume, THE AFFAIRS of CHIP HARRISON which includes, NO
          SCORE, CHIP HARRISON SCORES AGAIN, MAKE OUT WITH MURDER, and THE TOPLESS
          TULIP CAPER. Amazon.com and abebooks.com both list several copies for sale.

          This sounds like a fun read, so I just ordered it. I do like Block's Burlar
          . . . series featuring Bernie Rhodenbarr, used book dealer and burglar.

          Dorothy
        • James Merante
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 6, 2005
            I have read the Chip Harrison books. Early Lawrence
            Block.

            Kind of fun but not much depth. I remember liking it
            and looking for more of them, but they certainly
            aren't the second coming of RS. (The mysteries were
            actually pretty clever.)

            I good book to read at the airport and leave on the
            plane once you finished it.

            Jim

            captcaffeine2004 wrote:

            > Greetings To All: Has anyone in the group ever read any of Lawrence
            > Block's "Chip Harrison" series? It's about a Nero/Archie pair
            > knockoff where a Mr. Haig is the "new" Mr. Wolfe and the "new" Archie is
            > this Chip Harrison guy. In fact, I hear that the books actually pay
            > quite a bit of homage to Stout's characters (and insist that they
            > actually exist). Haig and Chip believe that one day Wolfe & Archie will
            > congratulate them on a job well done. If anyone has read these books
            > your input and opinion would be appreciated. These books were
            > written from 1970 thru' 1975 . VINNY, in Texas

            > Mystery author
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Mystery+author&w1=Mystery+author&c=1&s=20&.sig=Uj10IpOz1rjzcwEGDpDSkw>

          • Paul O'Donnell
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 6, 2005
              Dorothy Young wrote:

              >There is an omnibus volume, THE AFFAIRS of CHIP HARRISON which includes, NO
              >SCORE, CHIP HARRISON SCORES AGAIN, MAKE OUT WITH MURDER, and THE TOPLESS
              >TULIP CAPER. Amazon.com and abebooks.com both list several copies for sale.
              >
              >This sounds like a fun read, so I just ordered it. I do like Block's Burlar
              >. . . series featuring Bernie Rhodenbarr, used book dealer and burglar.
              >
              >Dorothy

              I've just bid on a copy of the omnibus on ebay, got to be worth a look
              ;-) Thanks for the heads up.
            • aria376
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 6, 2005
                Sure.  I've got all four:  No Score (1970), Chip Harrison Scores Again (1971),
                Make Out with Murder (1974) and The Topless Tulip Caper (1975).  And your
                assessment of them is indeed correct; moreover, they are written with the usual
                light-hearted approach of his popular "Bernie Rhodenbarr" novels.  Devotees
                of the "Matthew Scudder" series may not appreciate them.
                ;
                Greetings To All:     Has anyone in the group ever read any of Lawrence Block's "Chip Harrison" series?    It's about a Nero/Archie pair knockoff where a Mr. Haig is the "new" Mr. Wolfe and the "new" Archie is this Chip Harrison guy.   In fact, I hear that the books actually pay quite a bit of homage to Stout's characters (and insist that they actually exist).  Haig and Chip believe that one day Wolfe & Archie will congratulate them on a job well done.  If anyone has read these books your input and opinion would be appreciated.       These books were written from 1970 thru' 1975 .            VINNY, in Texas

              • captcaffeine2004
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 6, 2005
                  --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, aria376 <aria376@y...> wrote:

                  > Sure. I've got all four: No Score (1970), Chip Harrison Scores
                  Again (1971),
                  > Make Out with Murder (1974) and The Topless Tulip Caper (1975).
                  And your
                  > assessment of them is indeed correct; moreover, they are written
                  with the usual
                  > light-hearted approach of his popular "Bernie Rhodenbarr" novels.
                  Devotees
                  > of the "Matthew Scudder" series may not appreciate them.
                  > ;
                  Hello Aria376: I have never read any of the Matthew Scudder
                  books (in fact, as of right now, I havn't read anything by L. Block),
                  but hope to read his Chip Harrison books soon. But I am just very
                  curious as to why "devotees of the Matthew Scudder series may not
                  appreciate them." ??? Vinny in Texas

                • briarpatch_39272
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
                    Oh yeah! I do remember this book dealer guy. I knew I had read
                    something by Block. I may check out this Chip Harrison series. Thanks.
                    Charlene

                    -- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, "Dorothy Young" <mdorothy@p...> wrote:

                    > There is an omnibus volume, THE AFFAIRS of CHIP HARRISON which
                    includes, NO
                    > SCORE, CHIP HARRISON SCORES AGAIN, MAKE OUT WITH MURDER, and THE TOPLESS
                    > TULIP CAPER. Amazon.com and abebooks.com both list several copies
                    for sale.

                    > This sounds like a fun read, so I just ordered it. I do like Block's
                    Burlar
                    > . . . series featuring Bernie Rhodenbarr, used book dealer and burglar.
                    >
                    > Dorothy

                  • aria376
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
                      The "Chip Harrison" novels should be taken as Block intended -- see his preface to the IPL edition -- as a light-hearted parody, as it were, of Rex Stout's characters.  On the other hand, the "Matthew Scudder" stories and novels should be approached more "seriously" as a character-driven, well-plotted nearly noir series of detective fiction.
                      ;

                    • jrlevine1@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 8, 2005
                        In a message dated 11/5/2005 5:47:24 PM Eastern Standard Time, captcaffeine2004@... writes:

                        Has anyone in the group ever read any of Lawrence Block's "Chip Harrison" series?

                        I did.  Jonathan
                      • jrlevine1@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 8, 2005
                          In a message dated 11/5/2005 9:59:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, bbyrd8@... writes:

                          I've read both of them.  (i think there are only 2).

                          There were 2 books, and 4 stories.  The first two is before Chip works for Leo and is about Chip trying to lose his virginity.

                          Jonathan
                        • aria376
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 9, 2005
                            So did I.
                            ;
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 13, 2005
                              Hello All: I wanted to thank everyone who read and posted their
                              opinions re the Chip Harrison series. If there was a unanimous vote
                              of "thumbs down" I wouldn't have even got the first book. Well, there
                              wasn't, and I did. Just finished NO SCORE, which was Block's first
                              novel about Chip. There was not a single mention of Nero Wolfe so I
                              guess he hadn't developed his charcters yet. This was a rather funny
                              story, and I found myself giggling aloud A LOT, but now I know what
                              Aria meant by "lack of depth." VINNY