Eccentrics

  • David McClelland
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 1 5:00 AM
      There seem to be a lot of original thinkers and eccentrics in
      Wolfe's universe. Some, like Hattie Annis and the button fiend,
      have more mental quirks. Others have unusual home set-ups, like The
      Jarrets with their schizophrenic decor, Madeline Fraser with her
      undefined rooms, the crazy home/office set up of the Dazzle Dan crew
      and Beth Huddleston's menagerie of chimp, bears, and alligator.

      I wonder how much of this stems from Stout's family life, full as it
      was of independent and original thinkers. I have always maintained
      that the strongest common thread that runs through the corpus is the
      theme of strong-mindedness and free-thinking, for which the easy
      catch-all "eccentic" is the easy, if often inadequate handle.
    • owlcroft
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 1 11:54 AM
        Individuality. I think Stout was brought up believing strongly in
        individuality. His whole family were strongly defined personalities
        and clearly "individuals" are the most interesting people to write
        about. Aren't the characters we're talking about the most memorable?
        And let's not forget the Chapins -- now there's eccentricity!

        --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, "David McClelland"

        Message 3 of 21 , May 31, 2005
          In Sunday's chat, discussing the new crop of Miss Marples vis-a-vis
          the filmed Wolfe series, we touched on the notion that folks who are
          drawn to Wolfe might also be drawn to other slightly offbeat
          detectives, like Miss M and Poirot and, one could argue, even Holmes.

          How about it? Is a touch of eccentricity a draw for you?

          (And are you finding the new Marple series a let-down?)
        • Sam Hasler
          Message 4 of 21 , May 31, 2005
            No, it is the writing. Of the English writers, I
            still like Allingham and Sayers. Both Campion and
            Wimsey are eccentrics but the writing of either
            surpasses Christie. I read less Chandler than I used
            to but still like Hammett and Ross MacDonald. Stout
            was a grand writer even if his plots were not so
            great. Same could be said for Raymond Chandler -
            terrible plots. But who reads Stout for plots?

            Sam Hasler
            --- David McClelland <chatnoir210@...> wrote:
            > In Sunday's chat, discussing the new crop of Miss
            > Marples vis-a-vis
            > the filmed Wolfe series, we touched on the notion
            > that folks who are
            > drawn to Wolfe might also be drawn to other slightly
            > offbeat
            > detectives, like Miss M and Poirot and, one could
            > argue, even Holmes.
            >
            > How about it? Is a touch of eccentricity a draw for
            > you?
            >
            > (And are you finding the new Marple series a
            > let-down?)

          • James Blackshire
            Message 5 of 21 , May 31, 2005
              This is a rough thought, but when you get right down to it, I think most of the leads are eccentric in some way.  The side-kicks are 'generally' less so.  It may be that the spark of genius consumes or crowds out normalcy.  Or, that in a world that publically cherishes genius, it also tends to privately be a little uncomfortable around it, too - present company excluded, of course ;-)

              David McClelland <chatnoir210@...> wrote:
              In Sunday's chat, discussing the new crop of Miss Marples vis-a-vis
              the filmed Wolfe series, we touched on the notion that folks who are
              drawn to Wolfe might also be drawn to other slightly offbeat
              detectives, like Miss M and Poirot and, one could argue, even Holmes.

              How about it?  Is a touch of eccentricity a draw for you?

              (And are you finding the new Marple series a let-down?)

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • cactusjulie
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 1, 2005
                --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, "David McClelland"
                <chatnoir210@h...> wrote:

                1. How about it? Is a touch of eccentricity a draw for you?

                2. (And are you finding the new Marple series a let-down?)

                Answers:

                1. Obviously it is since I'm in this group. LOL

                2. Although the production quality and the supporting players are
                outstanding, Joan Hickson's absence kills the series for us.