Re: Xmas at the brownstone

  • owlcroft
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2005
      Personally, I like the orchid idea best, but if you want another
      suggestion: a silver ornament with a black wolf's head on one side and
      a crossed knife and fork on the other. Or, just go with NW and AG on
      opposite sides. Or, a flat, metal wolf with an orchid stamped on it.
      Or, a flat, metal orchid with a tiny wolf in the middle. Or, a flat,
      metal orchid with NW in the middle.

    • jrlevine1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 1, 2005
        In a message dated 1/1/2005 4:26:40 PM Eastern Standard Time, walkers@... writes:

        a silver ornament with an NW on one side and
        a crossed knife and fork on the other.

        I like this.  Who is going to produce them?

        Jonathan
      • owlcroft
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 2, 2005
          Or NW on one side and an orchid on the other. Or do both and let
          people choose which they want. Let me know if you find someone in NY
          who'll do these. The metal-workers out here produce life-size
          "sculptures" and wall friezes, not delicate ornaments; I have no idea
          where to find a glass-ball ornament-maker. And all I expect is 10% of
          the total sales!

          --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, jrlevine1@a... wrote:
          > In a message dated 1/1/2005 4:26:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          > walkers@o... writes:
          >

          > > a silver ornament with an NW on one side and
          > > a crossed knife and fork on the other.
          >
          > I like this. Who is going to produce them?
          >
          > Jonathan
        • rwcartwright50
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 23, 2005
            --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, "Gentleman Rook"
            <gentlemanrook@c...> wrote:

            > Okay--as a mental exercise, and assuming Nero would allow a
            Christmas
            > tree in the brownstone, what presents would the household have
            > gotten? Or given?

            Just from memory, I seem to recall a couple of Christmnas presents
            mentioned. One (in "fer-de-Lance") was a fancy silk bathrobe that
            Archie hardly ever wore (he refers to it as "some swell toga"). The
            other is far more precious to him--a leather card case with embossed
            orchids and automatic pistols on it--don't recall which book he
            mentions it in.

            Can anyone else dredge up any actual Christmas presents mentioned?

            Despite their Jewish ancestry, I suspect that both Saul Panzer and
            Lon Cohen would be part of the exchange.
          • owlcroft
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 23, 2005
              Archie got some hideous but handsome pajamas from his sister, but I'm
              not sure if that was for Christmas or his birthday. Or did you just
              mean "brownstone presents"?

              As for the cardcase, it plays a big part in "League of Frightened Men".

              --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, "rwcartwright50"

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 23, 2005
                And, being seriously caffeine-deprived, I just now remembered the
                luggage set Archie got from Wolfe. It had his initials on it and was
                mentioned in the one I always like to think of as "Death of a Squirrel".

                <rwcartwright50@y...> wrote:

                > --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, "Gentleman Rook"
                > <gentlemanrook@c...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Okay--as a mental exercise, and assuming Nero would allow a
                > Christmas
                > > tree in the brownstone, what presents would the household have
                > > gotten? Or given?
                >
                > Just from memory, I seem to recall a couple of Christmnas presents
                > mentioned. One (in "fer-de-Lance") was a fancy silk bathrobe that
                > Archie hardly ever wore (he refers to it as "some swell toga"). The
                > other is far more precious to him--a leather card case with embossed
                > orchids and automatic pistols on it--don't recall which book he
                > mentions it in.
                >
                > Can anyone else dredge up any actual Christmas presents mentioned?
                >
                > Despite their Jewish ancestry, I suspect that both Saul Panzer and
                > Lon Cohen would be part of the exchange.
              • Ken Wildman
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 23, 2005
                  >--- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, "rwcartwright50"
                  ><rwcartwright50@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, "Gentleman Rook"
                  > > <gentlemanrook@c...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Okay--as a mental exercise, and assuming Nero would allow a
                  > > Christmas
                  > > > tree in the brownstone, what presents would the household have
                  > > > gotten? Or given?

                  Is the tree obligatory for a gift exchange? :)

                  Rusterman
                  aka Ken Wildman
                • Paul L. Nettles
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 23, 2005
                    Not necessarily, I just liked the idea of Archie coming home one snowy holiday evening with an 8' Blue Spruce tied to the roof of the Heron.  *lol*

                    Gentleman Rook

                  • entwold@att.net
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 24, 2005
                      During In the Best Families, Archie mentions that Wolfe gave him a dictionary one Christmas -- the same edition that Wolfe himself uses.

                      What I've always been curious about is what gifts Archie may have given Wolfe over the years. He tells us of various things -- the cardcase, the luggage, the dictionary, etc. -- that Wolfe has given him, but he never ever mentions gifts going the other direction. Doesn't he ever give Wolfe anything? Or, do you think, that he never mentions his gifts due to his, um, modesty?

                      --
                      Lovin' Babe! aka Jessie Strader
                      entwold@...
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 24, 2005
                        I believe the leather card case featured in "League Of Frightened Men".

                        Joe

                        <rwcartwright50@y...> wrote:

                        > --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, "Gentleman Rook"
                        > <gentlemanrook@c...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Okay--as a mental exercise, and assuming Nero would allow a
                        > Christmas
                        > > tree in the brownstone, what presents would the household have
                        > > gotten?  Or given?
                        >
                        > Just from memory, I seem to recall a couple of Christmnas presents
                        > mentioned.  One (in "fer-de-Lance") was a fancy silk bathrobe that
                        > Archie hardly ever wore (he refers to it as "some swell toga").  The
                        > other is far more precious to him--a leather card case with embossed
                        > orchids and automatic pistols on it--don't recall which book he
                        > mentions it in.
                        >
                        > Can anyone else dredge up any actual Christmas presents mentioned?
                        >
                        > Despite their Jewish ancestry, I suspect that both Saul Panzer and
                        > Lon Cohen would be part of the exchange.

                        Do you Yahoo!?