Rubber Band broken, need assistance.

  • hybridtj
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
      Hi guys. First post for me.
      My wife and I are both huge Nero Wolfe fans. Even our kids (11 and
      7) are into it. In fact my boy (11) has read more of the books than
      I have even.

      I have at long last found a copy of Rubber Band. Had to order it
      from another library. Well it was printed in 1940 and is showing
      it's age (old books are so neat to read).
      One problem. I noticed today that about 2/3s of the way through the
      book there is a hole in three or four of the pages. The whole is
      about 3"x2" or smaller. But there are parts of a few paragraphs
      missing.
      If I posted on here what chapter the missing sections are in and
      what paragraph, that kind of thing, can someone help me out by
      filling in the missing sentences?
      Thanks in advance for any help. I look forward to participating in
      this message board more. Thanks.
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
        --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, "hybridtj" <peter33@a...> wrote:
        > Hi guys. First post for me.
        >
        > I have at long last found a copy of Rubber Band. But there are
        > parts of a few paragraphs missing.
        > If I posted on here what chapter the missing sections are in and
        > what paragraph, that kind of thing, can someone help me out by
        > filling in the missing sentences?

        Welcome to our group. Of course we'll patch your Rubber Band. Just
        post what's missing, and the challenge is there for the first
        available and willing member.
      • hybridtj
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
          Thanks. Ok, here is what is missing from my Rubber Band where the
          pages are torn.

          The last couple of pages of chapter 12 (the only long part missing).
          -"But you can't see her first." Wolfe sounded patient. "There is
          a warrant in force against her, sworn to by you. I do not suspect
          you of treachery, I merely protect my client.
          -I'M MISSING THIS NEXT PART UP UNTIL MID PARAGRAPH THAT CONTINUES:
          -That sounded as if he might really be going to have a fit, so I
          took a step and got hold of his shoulders with a fairly good grip
          and persuaded him into his chair,...

          Then I'm missing the last couple of sentences in the chapter. The
          part that continues after this sentence:
          -I looked through the panel. It was a rugged-looking guy well
          past middle age in a loose hanging tweed suit,
          THIS NEXT PART UP TILL THE CHAPTER ENDS IS MISSING.

          Now at the beginning couple of pages of Chapter 13 there are just
          two small holes making for four small sections that are missing a
          couple of words. I'll write the sentence and put ... for where I'm
          missing words.

          -I nodded. "........ sill."
          I proceeded to ......I go on to
          describe that, I'll...... I had not till that
          moment seriously..... the idea that the Marquis
          of Clivers had ...... Harlan Scovil.

          - So I escorted him to a seat in the front room,
          telling him Wolfe ....., and then returned to the
          hall and ..... of paper, "Old man Clivers,"
          and went .....handed the paper to Wolfe.
          Wolfe glanced at ...... and winked his
          right eye. I sat down. ....., much calmer but
          just as stubborn. They...... back and forth for
          couple of minutes without getting anywhere,

          -I would say you hit bottom that time. He's staggering.
          If you called that foxy......would you say if you saw a rat?"
          Wolfe nodded ......., "I showed you that
          paper because........deem it advisable
          to let Clivers....... other. Unexpected
          like that, it ....... It's my social instinct."
          "No doubt. ....... dective bureau, not a fashinable salon.

          -Wolfe said, "MY confidential assistant, Mr. Goodwin.
          There would be no point in sending him out, for
          he would merely.......of vantage we have prepared,
          and set down.........."
          "The devil he ......laughed three short
          blasts, haw-haw-haw, ....... He transferred
          the frown to Wolfe......... about that horse.
          It's preposterous.".......
          Wolfe nodded. ....... All debts are preposterous.

          Well, that is all that is missing. Any help would be appreciated.
          Thanks everyone.
          Peter
        • Miranda Beverly-Gill
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
            ...I merely protect my client. You say that you have promised Mr. Perry that you will withdraw the charge. Do so.Mr. Goodwin will type the statement, you will sign it, and I will arrange a meeting with Miss Fox later in the day.
               Muir was shaking his head. He muttered, "No. No . . . I won't." All at once he broke loose worse than he had in Perry's office the day before. He jumped up and banged his hand on the desk and leaned over at Wolfe. "I tell you I must see her! You damn blackguard, you've got her here! What for? What do you get out of it? What do you and Perry . . ."
               I had a good notion to slap him one, but of course he was too old and too little. Wolfe, leaning back, opened his eyes to look at him and then closed them. Muir went on raving. I got out of my chair and told him to sit down, and he began yelling at me, something about how I had looked at her in Perry's office yesterday. That sounded as if  . . .  .

            I looked through the panel. It was a rugged-looking guy well past middle age in a loose-hanging tweed suit, with a red face, straight eyebrows over tired gray eyes, and no lobe on his right ear. Even without the ear I would have recognized him from the Time picture. I opened the door and asked him what he wanted and he said in a wounded tone: "I'd like to see Mr. Nero Wolfe. Lord Clivers."

            (I'll send the rest in a minute.)  :)

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Miranda Beverly-Gill
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
              I nodded. "Right. Hop the sill."
                I proceeded to tax the brain. Before I go on to describe that, I'll make a confession. I had not till that moment seriously entertained the idea that the Marquis of Clivers had killed Harlan Scovil.
              ---------

              So I escorted him to a seat in the front room, telling him Wolfe was engaged, and then returned to the hall and wrote on a piece of paper, "Old man Clivers," and went to the offce and handed the paper to Wolfe.
                 Wolfe glanced at it, looked at me, and winked his right eye. I sat down. Muir was talking, much calmer but just as stubborn. They passed it back and forth for a couple of minutes without getting anywhere, until Wolfe said:
              --------

                "I would say you hit bottom that time. He's staggering. If you called that foxy, what would you say if you saw a rat?"
                Wolfe nodded faintly. I resumed, "I showed you that paper because I thought you might deem it advisable to let Clivers and Muir see each other. Unexpected like that, it might have been interesting. It's my social instinct."
                "No doubt. But this is a detective bureau, not a fashionable salon.
              -----------

              Wolfe said, "My confidential assistant, Mr. Goodwin. There would be no point in sending him out, for he would merely find a point of vanage we have prepared, and set down what he heard."
                 "The devil he would." Clivers laughed three short blasts, haw-haw-haw, and gave me up. He transferred the frown to Wolfe. "I received your letter about that horse. It's preposterous."
                 Wolfe nodded. "I agree with you. All debts are preposterous.

              (I think that's all of it!)  :)

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 3, 2003
                Thanks so much for filling in the blanks. Very much appreciated.
              • owlcroft
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 3, 2003
                  --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, "hybridtj" <peter33@a...> wrote:
                  > Thanks so much for filling in the blanks. Very much appreciated.

                  Miranda beat me to it (must not be a baseball fan!), but I do want to
                  make a small suggestion. Print out the posts and leave them in the
                  book for the next reader. And check out Bookfinder.com for some real
                  bargains on Stout books.
                • hybridtj
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 7, 2003
                    Oh, I'll be sure to include the missing links in the book that I
                    have, so that the next person has no problems.

                    And, thanks for the bookfinder link.