Shad references

  • jrlevine1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1 6:05 AM
      As you can see from the following post, the NY Times is doing a story on Shad.  If anyone has a reference or answer to the questions, please email me.

      Thanks Jonathan.

      Am doing a story on shad for next week. Can you give me any citations
      where
      wolfe mentions shad? Also, does he talk about it in his speech to the
      chefs
      in Too Many Cooks?

    • owlcroft
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1 11:58 AM
        Broiled shad in sorrel sauce in "Right to Die", roe aux fine herbes in
        "Final Deduction", en casserole in "Mother Hunt", with creole sauce in
        "Death Ever Slept", roe in mousse Pacahontas in "Too Many Cooks" (this
        was cooked by Mr Crabtree, not mentioned in the speech). Don't you
        have a Nero Wolfe cookbook?!

      • jrlevine1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1 7:55 PM
          In a message dated 5/1/2003 3:15:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time, walkers@... writes:

          Broiled shad in sorrel sauce in "Right to Die", roe aux fine herbes in
          "Final Deduction", en casserole in "Mother Hunt", with creole sauce in
          "Death Ever Slept", roe in mousse Pacahontas in "Too Many Cooks" (this
          was cooked by Mr Crabtree, not mentioned in the speech).  Don't you
          have a Nero Wolfe cookbook?!

          Yes I do.  The post did not ask for recipes but mentions of Shad.  I assumed there was a difference.  Thanks anyway.
        • Mike Nebeker
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1 10:55 PM
            At 10:55 PM 5/1/03 -0400, jrlevine1@... wrote:
            >In a message dated 5/1/2003 3:15:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            >walkers@... writes:
            >

            >>Broiled shad in sorrel sauce in "Right to Die", roe aux fine herbes in
            >>"Final Deduction", en casserole in "Mother Hunt", with creole sauce in
            >>"Death Ever Slept", roe in mousse Pacahontas in "Too Many Cooks" (this
            >>was cooked by Mr Crabtree, not mentioned in the speech). Don't you
            >>have a Nero Wolfe cookbook?!
            >

            >Yes I do. The post did not ask for recipes but mentions of Shad. I
            >assumed there was a difference. Thanks anyway.

            Next time you look at the cookbook again, you might want to notice that
            each recipe is prefaced with the passage where the dish is mentioned.

            Mike
          • owlcroft
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1 11:40 PM

              > Next time you look at the cookbook again, you might want to notice
              that
              > each recipe is prefaced with the passage where the dish is
              mentioned.

              > Mike

              Exactly -- thanks, Mike! I'd've made that clear if there hadn't been
              so much going on today. (Remind me to tell you all of the nice FBI
              agent I met this week.) I don't believe Archie ever mentions shad
              without referring to a current menu item, which would be what is
              wanted in this case. Have you ever had shad or its (her?) roe?
              Yummy-licious!! I'd be glad to provide a more comprehensive citing if
              needed for an article. Just let me know. As an aside, has anyone any
              ideas for the recipes not included in the Cookbook? Some sound just
              wonderful and I wish Viking had put out an updated version of the
              Cookbook.
            • paige_everhart
              Message 6 of 7 , May 2 7:20 AM
                It's not comprehensive, though. There are many mentions not
                referenced in the cookbook, for the shad roe preparations especially
                (I suppose because there were so many!)

                --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, Mike Nebeker <mknebeker@s...> wrote:
                > Next time you look at the cookbook again, you might want to notice
                that
                > each recipe is prefaced with the passage where the dish is
                mentioned.
              • David L. Ford
                Message 7 of 7 , May 2 8:18 AM
                  --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, paige_everhart <no_reply@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > It's not comprehensive, though. There are many mentions not
                  > referenced in the cookbook, for the shad roe preparations especially
                  > (I suppose because there were so many!)

                  Archie mentions somewhere in the corpus that, late in the shad roe
                  season, he begins to wish that they (the shad) had figured out
                  another way to procreate.....he gets that tired of shad on the menu.