Re: [NeroWolfe] Re: Western Wags

  • Nightwolfbka@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 43 , Jun 1 1:17 PM
      Part of my family is moving to Arizona. Looks like i
      will be the only one who will never leave NY.

      --- Bishop Julie <cactusjulie@...> wrote:

      > While Arizona has magnificent scenery, all climates,
      > suberb multi-ethnic restaurants (some even fly in
      > fresh fish and seafood), intellectual stimulation
      > and
      > witty residents.
      >
      > Besides, if you're on Flum's side you won't have the
      > fun of picking on him and you do that so well!
      >
      > --- Debbie Park <debpark20794@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Is there
      > > > perhaps something else in your neck of the woods
      > > > that
      > > > might sway me from my neutrality?
      > > >

      > > Of course there is! A very high cost of living
      > and
      > > traffic, traffic, traffic! LOL!
      > >
      > > Deb
      > > (who just remembered she was suppose to be
      > > "defending
      > > Maryland" *grin*)

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
    • Walt
      Message 43 of 43 , Aug 29, 2004
        I've been reading Nero Wolfe books since the 40s. I've averaged
        reading four books a week since I first started reading (In the old
        days before TV). Now that I'm retired I read at least one book each
        day. I got back on Rex Stout books when I was I working in the
        Middle East in the late 60s and 70s. Books were hard to find over
        there at that time and I was lucky enough to find a used book store
        loaded with Nero Wolfe, The Saint, and Sherlock Holmes books.

        In 1994 I left Saudi Arabia and retired. Now I have time to spend
        many pleasant hours reading and writing fiction. I bought all the
        Nero Wolf books Barnes and Nobel had then started on the used book
        stores where I found many more. Now all I need is ten more very
        hard to find books to complete my collection. My wife just found
        a book on Ebay of seven complete Nero Wolfe novels, four of which I
        didn't have. I'm also starting to collect Robert Goldsborough
        books. I found one in a used bookstore the other day for fifty
        cents. He writes a good Nero Wolfe story.

        I recently downloaded all the 1937 Nero Wolfe radio shows staring
        Sidney Greenstreet and many Archies. They're disappointing. The
        A&E series on TV was very good with good casting. The only problem
        I had with that series was that I thought Nero often had more
        violent temper tantrums than the book Nero had. Also Archie was
        sometimes a bit two witty. I felt like they overacted at times.
        I still liked the show though.

        As I said, I read a lot. I read most of the Connelly books but his
        characters were all so emotionally screwed up the stories depressed
        me. McBain was OK for a while but a bit too violent for me. I've
        seen too much violence in my lifetime of travels all over the
        world. I don't want to read about it for entertainment. I never
        could get interested in Elmore Leonard books. I tried a couple but
        got tired of them fast. Laurence Block writes good stories but a
        couple of them were down right boring. I liked his Burglar
        character though. He was a lot like Archie.

        So in the end, I'll just stick with Nero Wolfe. I've read most of
        them twice and will probably read them all again. Walt