Re: Bare shelves in the B&N

  • another_deb
    Message 1 of 2572 , Jun 1 7:45 AM
      I reread your piece this morning. I remember
      enjoying it the first time I read it last year. I often
      think of the former owners of the books I have
      acquired. Every once in a while I run across a cache of
      books by one of my favorite obscure authors, in a store
      I've combed through before, and I know someone has
      probably passed on. <br>On a happier note, the month of
      June brings the Brandeis Used Book Sale to the Chicago
      area--half a million books under a very large tent, sold off
      at bargain prices to benefit Brandeis University.
      This sale has been, in previous years, the source of
      many of my copies of Wolfe novels, as well as many
      another out-of-print opus. My copy of "And Four to Go"
      may be just down the next aisle, one table over. The
      game's afoot!
    • textechwriter
      Message 2572 of 2572 , Mar 10, 2002
        I can't get with Fer-de-Lance. Finishing the last few chapters seemed
        like work when I re-read it a couple of months ago. Maybe it's
        because Wolfe and Archie are brand-new in FdL. From there they evolve
        quickly, and by the time Too Many Cooks rolls out they've become the
        familiar characters who compel page-turning.

        Others on my list of least-favorites are Disguise for Murder and Help
        Wanted, Male. Heck, listing the bottom-dwellers hurts my head even
        more than picking three or four favorites does.