Re: [NeroWolfe] Revíew of A&E's _Eeny, Me eny, Murder, Moe_

  • CE
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2013
      I've cut and trimmed a little so hopefully the mail isn't so long.  I did take a look at international grading systems, and they are indeed quite different.  Hong Kong does the A B C D F which we use in the US, but India uses O A B+ B C, where C equals fails. THAT's different.
      Cecilia

      --------------------------------------
      By the way, Cecilia, the distinction between "American" and "European"
      rating systems isn't as cut-and-dry as one might believe. Just take
      a look at this Wikipedia page on ratings, and your head will spin:

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grading_%28education%29

      As you can see, an "E" rating is used in quite a few places and institutions
      around America (though mostly outside America).  :-)

      On Tuesday, 30th July 2013 at 13:14:51 (GMT -0500), John Withrow wrote:

      > I believe a grade of E may be [...] falling below D (but still above the total
      > failure grade, F).

      That's exactly right, John. Here is the rating system I use: www.ratings.avenarius.sk
      It just seems illogical to me to leave out the letter "E" if you do use A, B, C, D and F.  ;-)
      Here is what my movie ratings look like in practice: www.film.avenarius.sk
      I have good uses for the "E" rating sometimes --

      So, the only 3 A&E slapdash reviews I currently have available
      for the A&E series are for stories 3, 4 and 5:

      * Champagne for One .......... (rated "C")
      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0283984/reviews-4

      * Prisoner's Base .......... (rated "A+")
      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0287638/reviews-2

      * Eeny, Meeny, Murder, Moe .......... (rated "C-")
      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0287423/reviews-1

      I intend to keep writing "slapdash reviews" for each A&E episode as
      I continue (re)watching them in chronological sequence. What saddens
      me is that there are so *few* reviews of A&E episodes posted on IMDb.
      (I am sometimes the very first person to be posting a review for a particular
      movie.) IMDb is the world's premier site when it comes to movies, so
      one way to enhance "Wolfean reputation" globally, is to post more A&E
      reviews to IMDb. Not just for the entire A&E series as a whole (which
      is relatively easy to do), but for every individual A&E episode: analyzing
      the specific strengths and weaknesses of each particular installment.
      And that's exactly what I have set out to do this time around.  :-)

      --
      Yours,
      Alex.