On the Wolfe PDF Library

  • k_e_moeller
    Message 1 of 3 , May 24, 2013
      A couple of years ago a link was posted here to a library of PDFs representing the entire Wolfe corpus. The creator of these files was-is listed.

      At the time I downloaded them to my Mac though I wasn't clear what I was going to do with them. Now, over two years later I have an iPad with the iBook application. I imported the Wolfe PDF folder into iTunes and then synced it to the iPad, all showing up in the iBooks app and readable.

      Though I have a virtually complete soft and hardback Wolfe library, I've been diving in and would like to thank whoever digitized these and made them available.

      The vast majority are complete with no errors. A few have what must be scanning or OCR errors, not enough to ruin the narrative. Only one,the Rubber Band, is missing the final third of the text.

      Again my thanks to, certainly, the ghost of Rex Stout, who has given me this infinitely- rereadable series, and to whoever thought to create this group of books in PDF form.

      Karl Moeller
      Tucson AZ
    • faterson2001
      Message 2 of 3 , May 24, 2013
        Karl, I'm afraid messages like yours can't be posted publicly. :-(
        We all need to wait for only about 35 to 40 years from today
        before it's legit. I don't need to spell it out, do I?

        As to the best format for reading books on the iPad, that is definitely
        *not* PDF. The PDF format is *totally unsuitable* for electronic
        books. Books in the PDF format are typically published by clueless
        people who don't know any better. Of course, the PDF format does have
        its uses -- such as capturing the graphical look of some old edition from
        decades or centuries ago, whose conversion into the EPUB format would
        require much manual effort -- but to publish texts for ordinary reading
        in the PDF format? That's madness, and it's a big no-no.

        The optimal format for reading books on your iPad is EPUB, not PDF.
        The default iBooks software on your iPad can read EPUB files, too,
        but the quality of this software is really low. (I often find software
        by Apple to be very poor, as opposed to Apple hardware, which is
        fantastic.)

        For reading books on your iPad, I recommend the fabulous, free
        Marvin e-reader: www.marvinapp.com You won't find a better reading
        software on *any* platform. It blows the Kindle away, for example.

        As to Nero Wolfe books in the preferable EPUB format, you can purchase
        them directly from your iPad -- but they are very much overpriced
        (sometimes an e-book costs more than the original physical paperback,
        which is a scam that can never possibly be justified). Also, I'm sure
        Nero Wolfe fans have been producing EPUB files of Nero Wolfe
        stories for their private use... with emphasis on *private*.

        --
        Yours,
        Alex.

        [processed by "The Bat!", Version 5.3.8]
      • Mike Detlefsen