Re: Alan Vanneman's Wolfe Threesome (was: Archie Goodwin & Snap Malek...)

  • Dorothy
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 21, 2013
      Indeed, confusing "imply" and "infer" is an elementary error, one addressed specifically in Strunk & White.

      So, imagine my surprise a week or so ago when I found this very error in Chapter 16 of THE RUBBER BAND.

      Wolfe is talking to the city officials when he says, "...You put on an exhibition of your cunning at cross-examination in an effort to infer that she has tried to blackmail Lord Clivers ..."

      So even our wonderful Rex Stout was not perfect, nor were his copy editors.

      Parenthetically, I'm re-reading the Corpus, chronologically, this year. I finished Some Buried Caesar last night, and will start Over My Dead Body today. As always I'm amazed at how well the stories and characters hold up, and how effectively Stout captures both the time in which the stories were written, and universal human characteristics and foibles. It's great to have the stories available for my Kindle so I don't have to read my hardbacks which, alas, given that they weren't manufactured with very good materials, don't hold up so well.

      Interestingly, the Kindle copy of Some Buried Caesar also contains the text of The Golden Spiders! This is not documented on the Amazon page for the book. I knew I was getting toward the end of CAES, but was only at the half-way point according to the Kindle gauge. When I got to the end of CAES, GOLD started right up. I need to figure out how to change the metadata in the Kindle file so I don't buy GOLD when I get to it in the Corpus.

      Cheers!

      Dorothy Young

      In criticizing Alan Vanneman's pastiches,
      --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" wrote:
      Anyone who has followed these online Wolfean discussions even in passing or as a lurker over the years, would have been sufficiently forewarned against confusing "imply" or "infer"