Re: [NeroWolfe] Looking for a title

  • sondrao@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 26, 2012
      No its not too many clients, its "Champain for One," where the girl who was born illegitimately to a wealthy father, had a child by another rich guy who hired Wolfe because he was afraid that he would be accused of killing her.  Archie was at the dinner party and he knew that she didn't commit suicide.  Actually, it turned out that the wealthy father's mean wife had poisoned the girl's drink.

      Thanks

      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 26, 2012
        Thanks,  Will watch it on A&E DVD.

        regards
      • Mike Detlefsen
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 26, 2012
          On 26 Apr 2012, at 21:10 , sondrao@... wrote:

          No its not too many clients, its "Champain for One," where the girl who was born illegitimately to a wealthy father, had a child by another rich guy who hired Wolfe because he was afraid that he would be accused of killing her.  Archie was at the dinner party and he knew that she didn't commit suicide.  Actually, it turned out that the wealthy father's mean wife had poisoned the girl's drink.

          Spoilers!!

          Mike

          "When everything impossible has been eliminated and what remains is supernatural, then someone is lying."
          -Isaac Asimov, 1973

        • CE
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 27, 2012
            I have always thought this was one of the weakest books. Archie doesn't know this girl at all, she has cyanide in her purse, and she's talking to her friends about committing suicide.  I didn't think Archie had anything to go on.
            Cecilia

            --
            Shelley
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          • sondrao@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 28, 2012
              Yes he did.  He was watching her and the purse from the time she sat down after a dance.  So when she got sick, he knew it wasn't from the cyanide in her purse.

              It was a good read and a better movie on the dvd.  I thought anyway.

              Sondra

            • a@aboq.org
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 30, 2012
                On Friday, 27th April 2012 at 21:58:05 (GMT -0700 PDT), CE wrote:

                > I have always thought this [Champagne for One] was one of the weakest books.

                I agree with Cecilia. I disliked _Champagne for One_, and thought it
                the second-weakest Wolfe novel right behind the unbearable _Where
                There's a Will_. :-) I thought A&E's TV version of _Champagne for One_
                was a lot more enjoyable than the book. 90 minutes on TV is not enough
                run-time to do justice to a great novel -- so the 90 minutes of A&E seemed
                ideal to pick & choose only the best moments from _Champagne for One_,
                an overall weak book. It made for a good (not great) TV episode. :-)

                --
                Yours,
                Alex.

                [processed by "The Bat!", Version 4.2.44.2]
              • wayne holland
                Message 7 of 28 , May 1, 2012
                  You actually thought those were bad? What about Black Mountain? That is hands down my least favorite Wolfe offering. It's like it's not even Wolfe traipsing all over some mountains in eastern Europe.

                  --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, a@... wrote:

                  > On Friday, 27th April 2012 at 21:58:05 (GMT -0700 PDT), CE wrote:
                  >
                  > > I have always thought this [Champagne for One] was one of the weakest books.
                  >
                  > I agree with Cecilia. I disliked _Champagne for One_, and thought it
                  > the second-weakest Wolfe novel right behind the unbearable _Where
                  > There's a Will_. :-) I thought A&E's TV version of _Champagne for One_
                  > was a lot more enjoyable than the book. 90 minutes on TV is not enough
                  > run-time to do justice to a great novel -- so the 90 minutes of A&E seemed
                  > ideal to pick & choose only the best moments from _Champagne for One_,
                  > an overall weak book. It made for a good (not great) TV episode. :-)
                  >
                  > --
                  > Yours,
                  > Alex.
                  > http://stout.aboq.org
                  >
                  > [processed by "The Bat!", Version 4.2.44.2]

                • Jenna Welch
                  Message 8 of 28 , May 1, 2012
                    I adore Black Mountain precisely because it's so unlike the rest of the stories.  If nothing else, it shakes up the usual Wolfe/Archie dynamic- I loved seeing Archie floundering around not knowing what to do or where to go or what to say.

                    On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 12:57 PM, wayne holland <stanleywholland@...> wrote:

                    You actually thought those were bad? What about Black Mountain? That is hands down my least favorite Wolfe offering. It's like it's not even Wolfe traipsing all over some mountains in eastern Europe.

                    --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, a@... wrote:

                    > On Friday, 27th April 2012 at 21:58:05 (GMT -0700 PDT), CE wrote:
                    >
                    > > I have always thought this [Champagne for One] was one of the weakest books.
                    >
                    > I agree with Cecilia. I disliked _Champagne for One_, and thought it
                    > the second-weakest Wolfe novel right behind the unbearable _Where
                    > There's a Will_. :-) I thought A&E's TV version of _Champagne for One_
                    > was a lot more enjoyable than the book. 90 minutes on TV is not enough
                    > run-time to do justice to a great novel -- so the 90 minutes of A&E seemed
                    > ideal to pick & choose only the best moments from _Champagne for One_,
                    > an overall weak book. It made for a good (not great) TV episode. :-)
                    >
                    > --
                    > Yours,
                    > Alex.
                    > http://stout.aboq.org
                    >
                    > [processed by "The Bat!", Version 4.2.44.2]

                  • David E. Piccus
                    Message 9 of 28 , May 1, 2012
                      I am reading the entire corpus in order and am about 3/4 of the way through them.
                      Perhaps I have no good editorial experience, but I like them all and love quite a few of them.
                      I really enjoyed Black Mountain, Some Buried Caesar, Too Many Cooks, Fer de Lance, and most of the rest, as they are so re-readable. Even though this is the first time in order, I have read all of the books several times. It is fun to enjoy these characters as old friends who love to spare with words and play with the game of life. I've listened to Rex Stout on some of those old radio shows, hosted by Clifton Faddiman(sp). It certainly would have been a privilege to know and exchange words with Rex Stout, who was as witty and charming as his characters were.

                      Best regards,

                      David Piccus

                      depiccus@...

                      195 West State Street

                      Lehi, UT 84043

                      801-768-9194

                      801-319-5716

                      www.piccus4color.com

                      Message 10 of 28 , May 1, 2012
                        On 1 May 2012, at 12:18 , David E. Piccus wrote:

                        I've listened to Rex Stout on some of those old radio shows, hosted by Clifton Faddiman(sp). It certainly would have been a privilege to know and exchange words with Rex Stout, who was as witty and charming as his characters were.

                        Are these available somewhere? For purchase or free?

                        Mike
                      • David E. Piccus
                        Message 11 of 28 , May 1, 2012
                          I believe "Old Time Radio" or OTR search will lead you to these shows.
                          They were in the 1940's and 1950's. I'll see if I find them on one my older drives.

                          Best regards,

                          David Piccus

                          depiccus@...

                          195 West State Street

                          Lehi, UT 84043

                          801-768-9194

                          801-319-5716

                          www.piccus4color.com

                          Message 12 of 28 , May 3, 2012
                            On Tuesday, 1st May 2012 at 12:28:17 (GMT -0500), Mike Detlefsen wrote:

                            >> I've listened to Rex Stout on some of those old radio shows, hosted
                            >> by Clifton Faddiman(sp). It certainly would have been a privilege
                            >> to know and exchange words with Rex Stout, who was as witty and
                            >> charming as his characters were.

                            > Are these available somewhere? For purchase or free?

                            Both. There has been a section titled "The Voice of Rex Stout" on my webpage for many years:

                            http://aboq.org/stout/#voice

                            If you just want to quickly listen to Rex Stout in person forgetfully talking about Sherlock Holmes stories, here goes:

                            http://aboq.org/stout/holmes.mp3 (4 minutes, 24 seconds)

                            ... or about presidential beards and moustaches as compared to his own beard:

                            http://aboq.org/stout/beards.mp3 (2 minutes, 35 seconds)

                            The entire "Information, Please!" show: http://aboq.org/stout/001.mp3 (over 28 minutes)

                            Plus, check out hte Old Time Radio Catalog site:

                            www.otrcat.com

                            << A site dedicated to the preservation of the golden era of radio
                            (old time radio). The site offers vast resources about nostalgic radio
                            shows. Besides listening to thousands of old time radio episodes
                            online (including _Adventures of Nero Wolfe_: http://bit.ly/Ks3yzJ ),
                            visitors can stream or download full episodes in MP3 format as well as
                            read detailed descriptions of the performers and series broadcast in the
                            era (1920s–1959). In the "daily downloads", there are the broadcasts
                            of the day throughout history (from the last 50-70+ years). >>

                            Message 13 of 28 , May 11, 2012
                              I couldn't agree more about Black Mountain. I've never believed that the sedentary Wolfe could hike all over the mountains.  Even if I could believe that he could find a trail he hadn't traveled in decades, in the pitch dark, the tale would be ridiculous.  And how many people does Archie kill anyway? seemed like quite an excessive number.
                              Cecilia

                              You actually thought those were bad?  What about Black Mountain? That is hands down my least favorite Wolfe offering. It's like it's not even Wolfe traipsing all over some mountains in eastern Europe.

                              --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, a@... wrote:

                              > On Friday, 27th April 2012 at 21:58:05 (GMT -0700 PDT), CE wrote:
                              >
                              > > I have always thought this [Champagne for One] was one of the weakest books.
                              >
                              > I agree with Cecilia. I disliked _Champagne for One_, and thought it
                              > the second-weakest Wolfe novel right behind the unbearable _Where
                              > There's a Will_.  :-)  I thought A&E's TV version of _Champagne for One_
                              > was a lot more enjoyable than the book. 90 minutes on TV is not enough
                              > run-time to do justice to a great novel -- so the 90 minutes of A&E seemed
                              > ideal to pick & choose only the best moments from _Champagne for One_,
                              > an overall weak book. It made for a good (not great) TV episode.  :-)

                              > --
                              > Yours,
                              > Alex.
                              > http://stout.aboq.org
                              >
                              > [processed by "The Bat!", Version 4.2.44.2]

                              <*> Your email settings:
                                  Individual Email | Traditional

                              <*> To change settings online go to:
                                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                              <*> To change settings via email:
                                  nerowolfe-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                  nerowolfe-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            • Lady Shelley
                              Message 14 of 28 , May 11, 2012
                                I love Black Mountain, one of my very favorite Wolfe stories.  The juxtaposition of Archie and Wolfe's roles in the story is wonderful.

                                --
                                Shelley
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                Message 15 of 28 , May 11, 2012
                                  I agree, I love that story and the role reversal of Nero and Archie.
                                  Still an enjoyable read after five or six re-reads.
                                  I wish A&E had had the budget to do that one, Some Buried Caesar and Too many Cooks, all of which Nero is out of his comfort zone in the brownstone.

                                  Best regards,

                                  David Piccus

                                  depiccus@...

                                  195 West State Street

                                  Lehi, UT 84043

                                  801-768-9194

                                  801-319-5716

                                  www.piccus4color.com

[...]

                                • Victor
                                  Message 16 of 28 , May 11, 2012
                                    I also happen to like The Black Mountain. It's a well-reading demonstration that Stout was willing to experiment a bit with his traditional Wolfe format, a straight-out travel adventure story rather than a mystery.

                                    Is it likely that a fat man could hike strenuously across some of the most rugged terrain in Yugoslavia? No. But if that fat man were Nero Wolfe? That's the thing about Stout's use of character: you certainly believe that Wolfe would be pigheaded enough to walk around the countryside, ignoring all coming "inconveniences" (albeit complaining about his feet), and in pursuit of the people who killed his friend and his daughter.

                                    The number of people Archie kills? Two: the inquisitors of Peter Zov, during a rescue. (Jubé, the student who fancied himself a spy, was killed by Danilo's men.) Do I believe that Archie is a killer? After reading In The Best Families and Family Affair, I certainly believe he's capable of deciding whether a person should live or deserve to die.

                                    --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, Lady Shelley <jackaubrey@...> wrote:

                                    > I love Black Mountain, one of my very favorite Wolfe stories. The
                                    > juxtaposition of Archie and Wolfe's roles in the story is wonderful.
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > Shelley
                                    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                    > There is grandeur in this view of life ... from so simple a beginning
                                    > endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being,
                                    > evolved. -- Charles Darwin
                                    >
                                    > http://www.redhawke.org
                                    >

                                    > On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM, CE <cec_moss@...> wrote:
                                    >

                                    > > I couldn't agree more about Black Mountain. I've never believed that the
                                    > > sedentary Wolfe could hike all over the mountains. Even if I could believe
                                    > > that he could find a trail he hadn't traveled in decades, in the pitch
                                    > > dark, the tale would be ridiculous. And how many people does Archie kill
                                    > > anyway? seemed like quite an excessive number.
                                    > > Cecilia
                                    > >
                                    > > ------------------------------

                                  • briarpatch_39272
                                    Message 17 of 28 , May 14, 2012
                                      Remember that Nero Wolfe had to get in shape in another famous situation against Arnold Zeck. Changed his ways rather drastically that time.

                                      Charlene

                                      --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, "Victor" <vwong0360@...> wrote:

                                      > I also happen to like The Black Mountain. It's a well-reading demonstration that Stout was willing to experiment a bit with his traditional Wolfe format, a straight-out travel adventure story rather than a mystery.
                                      >
                                      > Is it likely that a fat man could hike strenuously across some of the most rugged terrain in Yugoslavia? No. But if that fat man were Nero Wolfe? That's the thing about Stout's use of character: you certainly believe that Wolfe would be pigheaded enough to walk around the countryside, ignoring all coming "inconveniences" (albeit complaining about his feet), and in pursuit of the people who killed his friend and his daughter.
                                      >
                                      > The number of people Archie kills? Two: the inquisitors of Peter Zov, during a rescue. (Jubé, the student who fancied himself a spy, was killed by Danilo's men.) Do I believe that Archie is a killer? After reading In The Best Families and Family Affair, I certainly believe he's capable of deciding whether a person should live or deserve to die.
                                      >
                                      > --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, Lady Shelley <jackaubrey@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > I love Black Mountain, one of my very favorite Wolfe stories. The
                                      > > juxtaposition of Archie and Wolfe's roles in the story is wonderful.
                                      > >
                                      > > --
                                      > > Shelley
                                      > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                      > > There is grandeur in this view of life ... from so simple a beginning
                                      > > endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being,
                                      > > evolved. -- Charles Darwin
                                      > >
                                      > > http://www.redhawke.org
                                      > >

                                      > > On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM, CE <cec_moss@> wrote:
                                      > >

                                      > > > I couldn't agree more about Black Mountain. I've never believed that the
                                      > > > sedentary Wolfe could hike all over the mountains. Even if I could believe
                                      > > > that he could find a trail he hadn't traveled in decades, in the pitch
                                      > > > dark, the tale would be ridiculous. And how many people does Archie kill
                                      > > > anyway? seemed like quite an excessive number.
                                      > > > Cecilia
                                      > > >
                                      > > > ------------------------------

                                    • Julia LaBua
                                      Message 18 of 28 , May 14, 2012
                                        And then of course there was his short-lived physical fitness routine when World War II broke out and he thought he would go kill some Germans because he didn't kill enough in the first world war...

                                        Julia

                                        Message 19 of 28 , May 14, 2012
                                          to whom do you refer?  Archie was a Captain in the war, not Nero.

                                          sao

                                          Message 20 of 28 , May 14, 2012
                                            Nero was supposed to stay in the US during the war, to contribute to a brain trust,  but he wanted to go and kill some Germans because he didn't kill enough before.  When Captain (later Major?)  Archie came home on leave and found Nero on a diet and exercising on the pier, he had to find a way to keep Nero in town.
                                            I can't remember this title, but that's the setup. Nero's physical fitness routine is quickly dropped as he starts solving a mystery again.
                                            Cecilia

                                            Message 21 of 28 , May 14, 2012
                                              Yes, thank you Cecilia, that is the story I was thinking of. I can't remember the title at the moment, but you've summed up the gist of the particular plot line perfectly.

                                              Julia