Wolfe cookbook weekend

  • tree
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 3, 2011
       This weekend I scanned the Nero Wolfe Cookbook.
      Just the text, not the pictures.
      now the editing begins.
      my thinking is that as I edit the text, I'll have a very good idea of all the recipes,
      and not be distracted by the photos.

      While scanning, my thoughts were at first, to make every dish in the book.
      as I went on I realized there are some I would never want to eat. (turtle steak?!? NOT!)
      So maybe...one from each chapter?  At least!
      so now it's - as many as I can.
      I do think I'll substitute chicken for some of the fowl (sorry Fritz)
      It might be the best I can do living in the middle of Iowa....
      I haven't found a phesant hunter yet - only deer hunters.

      tree

    • Larry Spinks
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 3, 2011
        Hi,

        Two questions please.

        Where does Horstmann take his meals?

        Where does Horstmann live?
        I thought he did not live in the brownstone, but in "Over My Dead Body" Archie states"...........wherethe entire space was glassed-in for the orchids except the potting room and the corner where Horstmann slept.

        Thanks

        Larry Spinks
        "And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1st Cor. 13:13

      • Bob Byrd
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 3, 2011
          Doesn't it also say that Theodore has a room in the plant rooms in The Second Confession?  I also remember reading in one of the books (don't ask me which one) that he takes his meals in the kitchen with Fritz.

          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 3, 2011
            There seems to be very little said about Horstmann, except when he occasionally appears in the plant rooms. The "Door to Death" when Nero ventures out of the brownstone when Horstmann needs to take some time off to visit his ailing mother. Other than that and when he is helping Nero as nursemaid to the orchids or gassing a room for pests, little is known about him. I remember him sleeping with the orchids and think there is little mentioned about him eating. I'm sure he was well fed, as Nero disliked having people hungry in his house.

            Best regards,

            David Piccus

            depiccus@...

            195 West State Street

            Lehi, UT 84043

            801-768-9194

            801-319-5716

            www.piccus4color.com

                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 3, 2011
                  Tree,

                  I also live in Iowa, and my hunter friends tell me the population of "ditch parrots" (pheasants) has plummeted in recent years. Planning for a substitute may be your best bet. Good luck with your recipe testing!

                  Julia
                  http://brilliantdisguise.wordpress.com

                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 6, 2011
                      Thanks for this recommendation! There are also several available at abebooks.com for $1 plus shipping. I just ordered one.

                      --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, Jenna Welch <jennalwelch@...> wrote:

                      > Hey all,
                      >
                      > So, a few months ago I wandered into a second-hand shop and found this great
                      > old book from 1981 called "The Great Detectives: Seven Original
                      > Investigations" which features short "interviews" with various literary
                      > detectives, one of which was Archie Goodwin. I finally got around to
                      > reading it last night - it was great, though a little redundant for anyone
                      > who's read most of the books. In it, Archie is older, living on his own,
                      > and Wolfe is out of the picture. He spends a lot of time reminiscing about
                      > what the house looked like, living with Fritz and working with the regulars,
                      > etc etc. But he also responds to a question about the "sexual ambiguity" of
                      > the household which made me chuckle. And he answers the question of
                      > "whatever happened to Nero Wolfe" with a nice short story. The author got
                      > Archie's mannerisms down pretty pat, though the idea of a grey-haired
                      > retired sans-Wolfe Archie makes me sad. All in all I'd say it was pretty
                      > excellent and had wonderful illustrations. It looks like there are a few
                      > copies available at the link below, for anyone who's interested.
                      >
                      > http://www.biblio.com/9780442296841
                      >
                      > Just thought I'd share :)
                      >
                      > -Tara

                    • Robert
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 6, 2011
                        Just an add: this book has GREAT illustrations. I picked up a used copy and it's great to browse through.

                        Bob B.

                        --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, "russelljudy" <jrussell2@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks for this recommendation! There are also several available at abebooks.com for $1 plus shipping. I just ordered one.
                        >
                        > --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, Jenna Welch <jennalwelch@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hey all,
                        > >
                        > > So, a few months ago I wandered into a second-hand shop and found this great
                        > > old book from 1981 called "The Great Detectives: Seven Original
                        > > Investigations" which features short "interviews" with various literary
                        > > detectives, one of which was Archie Goodwin. > >
                        > > -Tara

                      • tree
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 6, 2011
                          thanks for the tip

                          tree
                          > So, a few months ago I wandered into a second-hand shop and found this great
                          > old book from 1981 called "The Great Detectives: Seven Original
                          > Investigations" which features short "interviews" with various literary
                          > detectives, one of which was Archie Goodwin. I finally got around to
                          > reading it last night - it was great, though a little redundant for anyone
                          > who's read most of the books. In it, Archie is older, living on his own,
                          > and Wolfe is out of the picture. He spends a lot of time reminiscing about
                          > what the house looked like, living with Fritz and working with the regulars,
                          > etc etc. But he also responds to a question about the "sexual ambiguity" of
                          > the household which made me chuckle. And he answers the question of
                          > "whatever happened to Nero Wolfe" with a nice short story. The author got
                          > Archie's mannerisms down pretty pat, though the idea of a grey-haired
                          > retired sans-Wolfe Archie makes me sad. All in all I'd say it was pretty
                          > excellent and had wonderful illustrations. It looks like there are a few
                          > copies available at the link below, for anyone who's interested.
                          >
                          > http://www.biblio.com/9780442296841
                          >
                          > Just thought I'd share :)
                          >
                          > -Tara

                        • tree
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 6, 2011
                            when I started editing the scans from the cookbook,
                             the excerpts from the books reminded me how many stories I still haven't read.
                            "Too Many Cooks"  seemed like a good choice to read through between the editing.
                            Now I know where the Saucisse Minuit came from.

                             the cookbook is ready as a pdf & epub.
                            I expect there may be some errors in it, but since I found 2 typos in the original
                            (mine is the '73 hardcover) how bad can it be?
                            if anyone wants to look it over and see if they can find mistakes...
                            here is the pdf:

                            I'm still reading the 'TMC' book
                             one of my favorite lines so far was:

                            "..... From the way she jerked up in her chair, and the look she threw at Wolfe, I was expecting her to hop over and kiss him, or at least spill ginger ale on him.....

                            tree

                          • Ellen rappaport
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 7, 2011
                              Thank-you tree. That was so thoughtful of you. I had put the least expensive N.W. Cookbook on amazon on my wish list for the future and just work with the one from the library for now. This makes it at my finger tips when needed.
                              I'm sure I'm not the only one who thanks you for your consideration especially at this time when finances are tight at best.

                              Ellen

                              http://www.crmu.net/~jandt/The%20Nero%20Wolfe%20Cookbook%20-%20Rex%20Stout.pdf

                              • sondrao@earthlink.net
                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 7, 2011

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 16, 2011

                                    would you like me to email it to you?

                                    tree

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 24, 2011
                                      Yes, I thought the last "goodbye" was quite true to character and, also, as has been said, very sad.