The Silent Speaker

  • wayne holland
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 6, 2011
      The following excerpt is from chapter 25. I am specifically interested in the "more-more-more-more" remarks of Wolfe. Is this what the actual book shows? Or is it some ebook bad scan? If it is what is in the book, I don't quite get it. Why is Wolfe saying this? In the Google book version it has Wolfe saying, "M-m-m-m." I must be really obtuse, because this eludes me.:

      Evidently he was throwing in his hand and was ready for another deal. When, after another period of silence, he swallowed again, there was no question about it. "There is another possibility," he said, "that would not be open to the objections you have made. Don O'neill."

      "More-more-more-more," Wolfe remarked.

      "He also came in a taxicab. The motive is plain and in fact already established, since it is the motive that has already been accepted, wrongly and maliciously, all over the country. He would not serve the purpose as satisfactorily as Dexter or Kates, but it would transfer the public resentment from an institution or group to an individual; and that would change the picture completely."

      "More-more-more-more."

      "Also, evidence would not be suspect on account of its source."

      "More-more-more-more."
    • Bob Byrd
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 6, 2011
        it's definitely not more more more more....Silent Speaker is one of my favorite books.  I'm fairly certain the first response is Mmmm.  I need to double check that he repeats it.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6, 2011
          If you are referring to the Kindle ebook version, my copy shows "M-m-m-m."

          Mike

          On 6 Jun 2011, at 21:45 , wayne holland wrote:

          > The following excerpt is from chapter 25. I am specifically interested in the "more-more-more-more" remarks of Wolfe. Is this what the actual book shows? Or is it some ebook bad scan? If it is what is in the book, I don't quite get it. Why is Wolfe saying this? In the Google book version it has Wolfe saying, "M-m-m-m." I must be really obtuse, because this eludes me.:
          >
          > Evidently he was throwing in his hand and was ready for another deal. When, after another period of silence, he swallowed again, there was no question about it. "There is another possibility," he said, "that would not be open to the objections you have made. Don O'neill."
          >
          > "More-more-more-more," Wolfe remarked.
          >
          > "He also came in a taxicab. The motive is plain and in fact already established, since it is the motive that has already been accepted, wrongly and maliciously, all over the country. He would not serve the purpose as satisfactorily as Dexter or Kates, but it would transfer the public resentment from an institution or group to an individual; and that would change the picture completely."
          >
          > "More-more-more-more."
          >
          > "Also, evidence would not be suspect on account of its source."
          >
          > "More-more-more-more."

        • John Withrow
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2011

            My paperback edition shows the same:  M-m-m-m.

            If you are referring to the Kindle ebook version, my copy shows "M-m-m-m."

            Mike

            On 6 Jun 2011, at 21:45 , wayne holland wrote:

            > The following excerpt is from chapter 25. I am specifically interested in the "more-more-more-more" remarks of Wolfe. Is this what the actual book shows? Or is it some ebook bad scan? If it is what is in the book, I don't quite get it. Why is Wolfe saying this? In the Google book version it has Wolfe saying, "M-m-m-m." I must be really obtuse, because this eludes me.:
            >
            > Evidently he was throwing in his hand and was ready for another deal. When, after another period of silence, he swallowed again, there was no question about it. "There is another possibility," he said, "that would not be open to the objections you have made. Don O'neill."
            >
            > "More-more-more-more," Wolfe remarked.
            >
            > "He also came in a taxicab. The motive is plain and in fact already established, since it is the motive that has already been accepted, wrongly and maliciously, all over the country. He would not serve the purpose as satisfactorily as Dexter or Kates, but it would transfer the public resentment from an institution or group to an individual; and that would change the picture completely."
            >
            > "More-more-more-more."
            >
            > "Also, evidence would not be suspect on account of its source."
            >
            > "More-more-more-more."

          • wayne holland
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 7, 2011
              so it's like what in modern books we would see as "mmmh", one of those contemplative responses, just kinda show the speaker that we're listening ... thanks to all for the response