Re: [NeroWolfe] Re: More Modern Wolfe?

  • sondrao@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 34 , Oct 2, 2010
      hmmmmmmm sounds like a possibility!

      -----Original Message-----
      From: wayne h
      Sent: Oct 2, 2010 11:52 AM
      To: nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [NeroWolfe] Re: More Modern Wolfe?

      Regarding your ambition to write a modern Wolfe, there is one particular item that troubles me. The charm of the Wolfe stories is deeply embedded in their time frame, a time before computers and cellphones. (We actually witness the arrival of television in the stories.) I find it difficult to imagine a "workable" modern Wolfe. Somehow Archie, Saul and Fred with cellphones just doesn't work for me. And their modern counterparts would surely avail themselves of such "contraptions."
      But I can think of something that "might" work. Imagine that Archie had a kid as the result of one of his sorties (we do get the impression that he is a ladies man), a kid that he never knew about, a kid who shows up one day, fully grown of course, at his doorstep, a kid whose mother regaled him (or her) with tales of Nero Wolfe and his "sidekick" Archie Goodwin, and imagine further that the mother does not reveal the identity of the kids' father until she's dying. Imagine this kid introducing himself to his father, an elderly Archie Goodwin (Nero Wolfe is of course deceased), and asking him to help him get into the detective business. I like the idea of the kid possibly being a lawyer, or maybe even a cop who's sick of being a cop and wants to follow in his father's footsteps. And of course Fred Durkin's kids could also be in the mix.

      --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, "dnlmonaco" <dnlmonaco@...> wrote:

      > A while back I posted a little fan fic-y thing that took on the idea of Nero Wolfe reactions on the 21st Century. After a little consideration, I've decided to attempt a full story around that concept. In the event that anyone has any strenuous complaints, I'll take the whole thing to another venue but for now, here's what I'm planning:
      >
      > Title: Wolfe at the Door
      > By: Daniel Monaco
      > Summery: Three days after 9/11, most New Yorkers are worried about the tragic hole in their skyline but the World's Greatest Detective has focused on one dead body found fifty feet away from Ground Zero.
      >
      > The police and Inspector Cramer believe it's just another body among the vast pile of victims already claimed by a terrible tragedy, but Wolfe and Goodwin know better. They know that someone is using America's worst disaster to cover up their own dark deeds.
      >
      > While the city mourns, Nero Wolfe is on the hunt for a killer!

    • CE
      Message 34 of 34 , Oct 4, 2010
        Aha! I knew it sounded familiar! Excellent idea to update this plot. My writing teacher always said that what readers always want is the same thing again told differently, and that applies here. I'd love to read this.
        Cecilia
        -

        From: Bob Byrd <bbyrd8@...>
        To: nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Saturday, October 2, 2010, 11:01 AM

        Goldsborough's mistake wasn't giving Archie and Saul cell phones.  As was noted, television found its way into the books at the same time it found its way into people's living rooms.  His mistake was introducing new "family" members--Lily's half-sister.  I would much rather see a pastiche showing Wolfe & Co. dealing with word processors, smart phones 911 (a natural follow up to his dealings with WWII, J. Edgar Hoover, civil rights and Watergate) than newly discovered bastard children, elderly Archie and deceased Wolfe.