Re: [NeroWolfe] a family affair

  • david verity
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2010

      the original text reads 'du', not 'do'.
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: wayne h
      Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2010 10:23 AM
      Subject: [NeroWolfe] a family affair

      i need some help
      if anyone has this book i need to know about a word that is missing or miss-typed in my ebook version
      it's in the very first chapter, right after Archie wakes Fritz up to tell him about the bomb that just went off up in the South Room.
      it's in the paragraph that begins, "He was still on the floor, and the first question was what had put him there."
      the specific place i need help is at the end of the following two sentences:
      "The biggest one was a quarter of an inch wide and nearly half an inch long, and EDR was printed on it, dark green. A smaller one had DO printed on it, and another one had do."
      i question that this sentence ends with the word "do" especially in lower case. if anyone has a printed book, could you please share this sentence with me. i would like to properly edit my ebook. i checked with google books and this particular title has only a snippet view.
      many thanks in advance

    • Jenna Welch
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2010
        Mm, milk and hot dogs.  Milk goes with everything.

        We know that Archie grew up in Ohio - was it on a dairy farm?  I always made this assumption, but don't know if it was specified anywhere.  Also got the impression he had a few sisters, but I'm not sure if I'm making that up or not...

        On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 11:14 AM, wayne h <stanleywholland@...> wrote:

        muchos gracias to all replies
        i'm reading all the books in order and this is the last one.
        i'm looking forward to re-reading them and to really savoring them on the second go round.(go round? is that a word?)
        i've been editing my ebooks the best i can. i can usually figure it out, or i just check with google books. quite a few of them are available there with previews, albeit sometimes limited previews.
        there is no question that i am somewhat addicted to Nero Wolfe. there is little that i actually dislike about the whole scene, except maybe Archie's predilection for milk. most of the time i can deal with it, but just the other day (in Please Pass the Guilt i think) he was at a ballgame and mentioned having a couple hot dogs and a pint of milk. i couldn't help but go yuk. milk and hot dogs? come on.
        and really like to see the way certain things change with time.
        as someone else at this forum once remarked, the Wolfe books are like a time capsule.
        for example, occasionally the "driving" license is referred to, and then, in the late fifties you're reading "driver's" license.
        but ... in this the last book (published in 1975) "driving" license turns up again.
        i couldn't help but notice it, and wonder about it.
        i mean, what the hell?