a family affair

  • wayne h
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2010
      i need some help
      if anyone has this book i need to know about a word that is missing or miss-typed in my ebook version
      it's in the very first chapter, right after Archie wakes Fritz up to tell him about the bomb that just went off up in the South Room.
      it's in the paragraph that begins, "He was still on the floor, and the first question was what had put him there."
      the specific place i need help is at the end of the following two sentences:
      "The biggest one was a quarter of an inch wide and nearly half an inch long, and EDR was printed on it, dark green. A smaller one had DO printed on it, and another one had do."
      i question that this sentence ends with the word "do" especially in lower case. if anyone has a printed book, could you please share this sentence with me. i would like to properly edit my ebook. i checked with google books and this particular title has only a snippet view.
      many thanks in advance
    • a@aboq.org
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 30, 2010
        On Thursday, 30th September 2010 at 14:23:11 (GMT),
        which was 16:23 in Bratislava, Slovakia,
        wayne h wrote:

        > i need some help if anyone has this book i need to know about a word
        > that is missing or miss-typed in my ebook version
        > it's in the very first chapter [...]
        > "The biggest one was a quarter of an inch wide and nearly half an
        > inch long, and EDR was printed on it, dark green. A smaller one had
        > DO printed on it, and another one had do."
        > i question that this sentence ends with the word "do" especially in lower case.

        The print version does have that word in lower-case, but it's "du", not "do".
        No doubt the producers of the e-book version were using OCR software
        that auto-(mis)corrected that word to the common English verb "do".
        Of course, "du" means "you" (singular) in German, and it's also one of
        the forms of the grammatical article in French... but that's not really
        important here, because we're talking about pieces left over from an explosion.

        --
        Yours,
        Alex.

        [processed by "The Bat!", Version 4.2.10.12]
      • david verity
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 30, 2010

          the original text reads 'du', not 'do'.

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 30, 2010
              In my printed copy, it reads:

              A smaller one had DO printed on it, and another one had du.
            • wayne h
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 30, 2010
                muchos gracias to all replies
                i'm reading all the books in order and this is the last one.
                i'm looking forward to re-reading them and to really savoring them on the second go round.(go round? is that a word?)
                i've been editing my ebooks the best i can. i can usually figure it out, or i just check with google books. quite a few of them are available there with previews, albeit sometimes limited previews.
                there is no question that i am somewhat addicted to Nero Wolfe. there is little that i actually dislike about the whole scene, except maybe Archie's predilection for milk. most of the time i can deal with it, but just the other day (in Please Pass the Guilt i think) he was at a ballgame and mentioned having a couple hot dogs and a pint of milk. i couldn't help but go yuk. milk and hot dogs? come on.
                and really like to see the way certain things change with time.
                as someone else at this forum once remarked, the Wolfe books are like a time capsule.
                for example, occasionally the "driving" license is referred to, and then, in the late fifties you're reading "driver's" license.
                but ... in this the last book (published in 1975) "driving" license turns up again.
                i couldn't help but notice it, and wonder about it.
                i mean, what the hell?
              • wayne h
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 30, 2010
                  chapter 1

                  > hi I have the book in hand but never read this what chapter?

                • PHIL FISCHER
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 30, 2010
                    "A smaller one had DO printed on it, and another one had du."
                    (The "du" is italicized.)
                    I hope this helps!!!

                    Phil Fischer

                    > hi I have the book in hand but never read this what chapter?

                  • Jenna Welch