Re: [NeroWolfe] the black mountain

  • sondrao@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 30, 2010
      Enjoyed your site but I didn't see books for sale.  Thanks

      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 31, 2010
        No its not. You've got it backwards.  See I told you those things were devilish. lolol

        From: wayne h <stanleywholland@...>
        Subject: [NeroWolfe] the black mountain
        To: nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Friday, July 30, 2010, 6:55 PM

        I have all the Nero Wolfe mysteries in ebook format except for The Black
        Mountain and Where There's a Will.

        I've been reading them in chronological order - or so I thought, until I
        came across a reflection by Archie about Wolfe being in the morgue to
        place two dinars on Marko Vukcic's eyes. Needless to say, I was a little
        shocked. I couldn't remember reading anything about Vukcic dying, so I
        researched it and found out it happened in The Black Mountain, which (as I
        said) I don't have.

        I was wondering if any forum member might be able to steer me in the
        right direction on this. Everything I come across is either a hard copy
        or an audio book.

        Thanks in advance.

        Wayne Holland

        (Yahoo! ID required)

      • Frederick
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 1, 2010
          Hi Wayne ,
          Coming in late with this as i just became a member of this group today .
          It happens that I am now listening to " The Black Mountain " on Audio edition's CDs . The story is well narrated by Michael Prichard . I enjoy the CDs very much because while listening I can do some mindless task like painting . I also have the book in hard cover that I got at a second hand book store , I also have obtained many other books of the corpus through ebay auction .

          --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, "wayne h" <stanleywholland@...> wrote:

          > I have all the Nero Wolfe mysteries in ebook format except for The Black Mountain and Where There's a Will.
          >
          > I've been reading them in chronological order - or so I thought, until I came across a reflection by Archie about Wolfe being in the morgue to place two dinars on Marko Vukcic's eyes. Needless to say, I was a little shocked. I couldn't remember reading anything about Vukcic dying, so I researched it and found out it happened in The Black Mountain, which (as I said) I don't have.
          >
          > I was wondering if any forum member might be able to steer me in the right direction on this. Everything I come across is either a hard copy or an audio book.
          >
          > Thanks in advance.
          >
          > Wayne Holland

        • Anna Harkey
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 1, 2010
            Yes, I'm still around!  Just lurking, a lot.  :)

            It's really cold down here, actually, with winter at 12,000 feet...  Lets just say I've been sleeping under three thick wool blankets and a sleeping bag, and with two layers of pajamas plus my wool hat and scarf!

            What I'd love, technology-wise, is a Kindle or something similar that can read ordinary PDF files.  I'm constantly having to work my way through articles I can only access from digital archives, and like you say, too much reading off a laptop monitor is a great way to work up a headache.

            I haven't read the Larsson series, though I've been hearing the books mentioned all over the place.  I'd love to hear thoughts on them from fellow Wolfians!

            Anna

            On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 9:18 PM, briarpatch_39272 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Oh wow, Anna. How fun is that to call work, traveling in South America. Hot too I guess, huh? I totally agree that ebooks, Kindle and iPad stuff is a nice thing to have in some circumstances. I do not like reading on a lap top screen. I am hoping the invent something that isn't so hard on the eyes. But I can certainly see the usefulness of this new technology. No point in putting head into sand. Good to see you are still around.

            Have you read the Stieg Larsson series, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc? I am on the 2nd one and I am enjoying them very much.

            Charlene

            --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, Anna Harkey <aeharkey@...> wrote:

            > Now, now! Ebooks can be a real lifesaver, provided they're an addition to
            > the library and not a replacement.
            >
            > I spend months of every year traveling in South America on field work, and
            > there's just no way to bring along all the reading I'll want to do. This
            > year, though, along with the half dozen books I *did *bring (´cause, yes,
            > I'll take real paper any day over books you can't read when the battery
            > dies!), I've got about twenty more as PDFs or Word Docs on my laptop. Good
            > thing, too. I finished every 'real' book I'd brought, including four
            > Stouts, weeks ago. And with no English language bookshops anywhere near
            > this tiny, highland Peruvian town, I can still add to my reading list at the
            > internet café. It'll never top paper, but I'm glad it exists!
            >

            > On 7/31/10, sondrao@... <sondrao@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > But then I don't believe in ebooks. It will be the end of reading. Next
            > > they will want everything in pictures only. Back to kindergarten.

          • David E. Piccus
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 1, 2010
              iPad is the answer. you can get Kindle, ebooks plus it reads pdfs and syncs with itunes with your iPhone, etc.

              Best regards,

              David Piccus

              depiccus@...

              195 West State Street

              Lehi, UT 84043

              801-768-9194

              801-319-5716

              www.piccus4color.com

            • Wildman, Kenneth
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 1, 2010
                My eyesight is not the greatest but I find the Aldiko(?) book reader is
                astonishingly easy to read on my Motorola Droid

                Rusterman

              • Anna Harkey
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 1, 2010
                  Do you know, all this time I've been thinkings ipads were surely as useless any invention out there, (like an iphone, only more unwieldy and you can't make calls on it!), but that little detail could about sway me.  Is the screen really that much easier on the eyes?

                • David E. Piccus
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 1, 2010
                    yes, I have read several books on kindle with it Some of the old Rex Stout novels are on it for free, like "Under the Andes". Also many of the Nero Wolfe books are available for $5 or so

                    depiccus@mac. com

                    195 West State Street

                    Lehi, UT 84043

                    801-768-9194

                    801-319-5716

                    www.piccus4color. com

                    On Aug 1, 2010, at 1:09 PM, Anna Harkey wrote:

                    Yes, I'm still around!  Just lurking, a lot.  :)

                    It's really cold down here, actually, with winter at 12,000 feet...  Lets just say I've been sleeping under three thick wool blankets and a sleeping bag, and with two layers of pajamas plus my wool hat and scarf!

                    What I'd love, technology-wise, is a Kindle or something similar that can read ordinary PDF files.  I'm constantly having to work my way through articles I can only access from digital archives, and like you say, too much reading off a laptop monitor is a great way to work up a headache.

                    I haven't read the Larsson series, though I've been hearing the books mentioned all over the place.  I'd love to hear thoughts on them from fellow Wolfians!

                    Anna

                    On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 9:18 PM, briarpatch_39272 <no_reply@yahoogroup s.com> wrote:

                    Oh wow, Anna. How fun is that to call work, traveling in South America. Hot too I guess, huh? I totally agree that ebooks, Kindle and iPad stuff is a nice thing to have in some circumstances. I do not like reading on a lap top screen. I am hoping the invent something that isn't so hard on the eyes. But I can certainly see the usefulness of this new technology. No point in putting head into sand. Good to see you are still around.

                    Have you read the Stieg Larsson series, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc? I am on the 2nd one and I am enjoying them very much.

                    Charlene

                    --- In nerowolfe@yahoogrou ps.com, Anna Harkey <aeharkey@...> wrote:

                    > Now, now! Ebooks can be a real lifesaver, provided they're an addition to
                    > the library and not a replacement.
                    >
                    > I spend months of every year traveling in South America on field work, and
                    > there's just no way to bring along all the reading I'll want to do. This
                    > year, though, along with the half dozen books I *did *bring (´cause, yes,
                    > I'll take real paper any day over books you can't read when the battery
                    > dies!), I've got about twenty more as PDFs or Word Docs on my laptop. Good
                    > thing, too. I finished every 'real' book I'd brought, including four
                    > Stouts, weeks ago. And with no English language bookshops anywhere near
                    > this tiny, highland Peruvian town, I can still add to my reading list at the
                    > internet café. It'll never top paper, but I'm glad it exists!
                    >

                    > On 7/31/10, sondrao@... <sondrao@...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > But then I don't believe in ebooks. It will be the end of reading. Next
                    > > they will want everything in pictures only. Back to kindergarten.

                  • Deb Bailey
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 1, 2010
                      really? I wonder about the kindle though wish I could test drive one..my
                      eyes kill me after reading on the computer which is where all my books are,
                      in many different formats; but in pdf form I can read anything. Case in
                      point Black Mountain as I am now reading html from someone who sent all the
                      Nero Wolve's in order in html the other day its microscopic; now I can save
                      the html and enlarge the print but there I am using the magnify over about a
                      third of the line then over then down yada yada....thanks so much
                      everyone...good luck Anna down there.