The New Adventures of Nero Wolfe

  • wolfefan2000
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 2, 2010
      Amazon just released a radio series from the 1950's on digital audio player.

      Is the radio series worth the $59.99?

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1615876545/ref=pe_5050_14015760_snp_dp
    • Anna Harkey
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 2, 2010
        Worth $59.99?

        In my book, no.  It's not.  That's not least because I bought the whole thing in mp3 format for about $5.00 several years ago, (and don't I just love a bargain), but the radio series is also a pretty far cry from the books and, while enjoyable for what it is, not great.  Plots tend to be very weak, and the radio versions of Archie and Wolfe just don't begin to capture the fascinating characters we know and love.

        I do owe it this: the Nero Wolfe radio series introduced me to the oh-so-much better tv series, and THAT was what finally introduced me to the corpus.  It may never make my top ten (or top 20) old time radio series, but I'm in its debt.

        By all means find some copies and have a listen.  But I for one would point that sixty bucks toward a few more Nero Wolfe hardbacks!

        On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 1:36 PM, wolfefan2000 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Amazon just released a radio series from the 1950's on digital audio player.

        Is the radio series worth the $59.99?

        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1615876545/ref=pe_5050_14015760_snp_dp

      • Henry
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 2, 2010

          *NERO WOLFE* Old Time Radio Shows - 25 Episodes - this was on ebay for $2.89.  There are other Nero Wolfe radio episodes that are much cheaper than $59.99.

          --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, Anna Harkey <aeharkey@...> wrote:

          > Worth $59.99?
          >
          > In my book, no. It's not. That's not least because I bought the whole
          > thing in mp3 format for about $5.00 several years ago, (and don't I just
          > love a bargain), but the radio series is also a pretty far cry from the
          > books and, while enjoyable for what it is, not great. Plots tend to be very
          > weak, and the radio versions of Archie and Wolfe just don't begin to capture
          > the fascinating characters we know and love.
          >
          > I do owe it this: the Nero Wolfe radio series introduced me to the
          > oh-so-much better tv series, and THAT was what finally introduced me to the
          > corpus. It may never make my top ten (or top 20) old time radio series, but
          > I'm in its debt.
          >
          > By all means find some copies and have a listen. But I for one would point
          > that sixty bucks toward a few more Nero Wolfe hardbacks!
          >

          > On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 1:36 PM, wolfefan2000 no_reply@yahoogroups.comwrote:
          >

          > > Amazon just released a radio series from the 1950's on digital audio
          > > player.
          > >
          > > Is the radio series worth the $59.99?
          > >
          > > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1615876545/ref=pe_5050_14015760_snp_dp

        • Terry Powell
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 2, 2010
            It isn't worth it to me because I have so many more urgent places to send my money.  I will say that I have hears a few of these old time Nero Wolfe radio shows and enjoyed them to some extent on an old time radio site.
            Terry Powell

            Amazon just released a radio series from the 1950's on digital audio player.

            Is the radio series worth the $59.99?

            http://www.amazon. com/gp/product/ 1615876545/ ref=pe_5050_ 14015760_ snp_dp

          • Pat Duck
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 2, 2010
              From our Wolfe Pack webmistress:

              These MP3s are available free from many sites on the Internet as "Old Time Radio." They are all off copyright. See the web site for a listing of some sites. There were 3 separate series, the Canadian one being the most highly reviewed.  If someone wants to pay for nice packaging, I guess they are worth something.

              Katie

              wolfefan2000 wrote:

              Amazon just released a radio series from the 1950's on digital audio player.

              Is the radio series worth the $59.99?

              http://www.amazon. com/gp/product/ 1615876545/ ref=pe_5050_ 14015760_ snp_dp

            • E.J. Ford
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 2, 2010

                Evidently they have reactivated the copyright – they aren’t available for free on the Old Time Radio link on our group’s link list.

                EJ

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 2, 2010
                  You can get 27 Nero Wolfe radio shows from otrcat.com for only $5 -

                  Jackie

                • Taylor401306@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 4, 2010
                    Re: The New Adventures of Nero Wolfe
                        Posted by: "Henry" henryfry2003@... henryfry2003
                        Date: Sun Jan 3, 2010 9:32 am ((PST))

                    *NERO WOLFE* Old Time Radio Shows - 25 Episodes - this was on ebay for
                    $2.89.  There are other Nero Wolfe radio episodes that are much cheaper
                    than $59.99.

                    What's the URL ?
                  • Geoff Cox
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 4, 2010
                      for Ebay? you're kidding. :)

                          Date: Sun Jan 3, 2010 9:32 am ((PST))

                      --
                      Cheers,
                          Geoff

                      Geoff Cox
                      Cell: 703-409-7229
                      geoff@...
                    • upabob
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 21, 2010
                        As a devoted Humphrey Bogart fan, I quite enjoy Sidney Greenstreet's screen peformances. And, of course, I love the Nero Wolfe tales.

                        For me, however, this is not a very good radio series at all. Neither Greenstreet or his Archie is memorable, and the scripts are weak.

                        I would listen on-line to these and see if you think it's worth buying the CD from amazon.

                        http://www.radiolovers.com/pages/nerowolfe.htm

                        Bob B.
                        www.SolarPons.com

                        --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, Terry Powell <kb9ree@...> wrote:

                        > It isn't worth it to me because I have so many more urgent places to send my money.  I will say that I have hears a few of these old time Nero Wolfe radio shows and enjoyed them to some extent on an old time radio site.
                        > Terry Powell

                      • tarafarrago
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 21, 2010
                          In addition to being an enormous Nero Wolfe fan, I'm also a pretty big
                          fan of old time radio - particularly the detective shows (small wonder.)

                          I have to agree, the Nero Wolfe radio shows definitely don't measure up
                          for me, neither as additions to the canon nor as radio programs in their
                          own right. There are one or two that are okay, but - without giving too
                          much away - Wolfe routinely SNORES in his chair. So, demerit points all
                          around.

                          Wonder if anyone's heard of the Richard Diamond PI series? Diamond's
                          voice always had a vaguely Goodwin-esque ring to it for me, which might
                          be part of why I love it so much....

                          --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, "upabob" <upabob@...> wrote:

                          > As a devoted Humphrey Bogart fan, I quite enjoy Sidney Greenstreet's
                          screen peformances. And, of course, I love the Nero Wolfe tales.

                          > For me, however, this is not a very good radio series at all. Neither
                          Greenstreet or his Archie is memorable, and the scripts are weak.

                          > I would listen on-line to these and see if you think it's worth buying
                          the CD from amazon.

                          > http://www.radiolovers.com/pages/nerowolfe.htm
                          >
                          > Bob B.
                          > www.SolarPons.com
                          >

                          > --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, Terry Powell kb9ree@ wrote:
                          > >
                          > > It isn't worth it to me because I have so many more urgent places to
                          send my money. I will say that I have hears a few of these old time
                          Nero Wolfe radio shows and enjoyed them to some extent on an old time
                          radio site.
                          > > Terry Powell

                        • Anna Harkey
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 21, 2010
                            I've thought that exact thing about Richard Diamond: very Goodwin-esque in tone, but more than that, what first called my attention to the similarity was one of several episodes where Diamond is offered a drink and asks for a glass of milk.  That little detail actually got me wondering if we were hearing a deliberate nod in Archie's direction!

                            In any case, it's probably my single favorite OTR series, and made me into an unshakable fan of Dick Powell.  Great stuff, in my book.

                            On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 12:05 PM, tarafarrago <jennalwelch@...> wrote:

                            In addition to being an enormous Nero Wolfe fan, I'm also a pretty big
                            fan of old time radio - particularly the detective shows (small wonder.)

                            I have to agree, the Nero Wolfe radio shows definitely don't measure up
                            for me, neither as additions to the canon nor as radio programs in their
                            own right. There are one or two that are okay, but - without giving too
                            much away - Wolfe routinely SNORES in his chair. So, demerit points all
                            around.

                            Wonder if anyone's heard of the Richard Diamond PI series? Diamond's
                            voice always had a vaguely Goodwin-esque ring to it for me, which might
                            be part of why I love it so much....

                            --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, "upabob" <upabob@...> wrote:

                            > As a devoted Humphrey Bogart fan, I quite enjoy Sidney Greenstreet's
                            screen peformances. And, of course, I love the Nero Wolfe tales.

                            > For me, however, this is not a very good radio series at all. Neither
                            Greenstreet or his Archie is memorable, and the scripts are weak.

                            > I would listen on-line to these and see if you think it's worth buying
                            the CD from amazon.

                            > http://www.radiolovers.com/pages/nerowolfe.htm
                            >
                            > Bob B.
                            > www.SolarPons.com
                            >

                            > --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, Terry Powell kb9ree@ wrote:
                            > >
                            > > It isn't worth it to me because I have so many more urgent places to
                            send my money. I will say that I have hears a few of these old time
                            Nero Wolfe radio shows and enjoyed them to some extent on an old time
                            radio site.
                            > > Terry Powell

                          • Terry Powell
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 21, 2010
                              I understand what you say about the radio series, but I have enjoyed the episodes of it I have heard.  Remember in the forties, they needed shows which would grab your attention, as radio was at that time the king of mass media.  They also needed shows which would pick you up from all the news of world affairs back then.
                              I can't blame them for doing what they did to Nero Wolfe, and Rex Stout must have approved at least grudgingly of it or else would the series have been aired?
                              As for Richard Diamond, I have not seen enough of it to form an opinion. Maybe I can find it sometime on the web on fancast or some such thing.
                              I have found old episodes of Adam  12 that I have enjoyed.
                              Terry

                            • Taylor401306@cs.com
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 24, 2010
                                    Posted by: "Terry Powell" kb9ree@... terry_powellrtp
                                    Date: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:25 pm ((PST))

                                I understand what you say about the radio series, but I have enjoyed the episodes of it I have heard.  Remember in the forties, they needed shows which would grab your attention, as radio was at that time the king of mass media.  They also needed shows which would pick you up from all the news of world affairs back then.
                                I can't blame them for doing what they did to Nero Wolfe, and Rex Stout must have approved at least grudgingly of it or else would the series have been aired?

                                I agree. We still need shows which would pick you up from all the news of world affairs  now.  I've been enjoying the series. (I'm listening to it now.) Admittedly, Wolfe leaves home far too often to accompany Archie but I put this down to the needs of radio. It's a pity no one made a movie of Wolfe with Greenstreet. Incidently there are 2 episodes missing from my CD- "Dear Dead Lady" & "Careless Cleaner". Are they missing from everyone else's ?
                              • tarafarrago
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 25, 2010
                                  Agreed - I would have loved to have seen Greenstreet play Wolfe. And don't get me wrong, I definitely have the radio series and listen to it on occasion, and I enjoy them simply b/c they're Wolfe & Archie - it just makes me sad for all the ways it gets it wrong. I downloaded the series from somewhere, possibly a torrent, several years ago. If you're missing episodes, send me a private message and I would be happy to send along the mp3s. The complete list and runtimes is below (or, as complete as I'm aware it can be.)

                                  On another note entirely, has anyone ever listened to the CBC radio programs? I was REALLY happy with them - followed the books very well, great music - and have them too if anyone wants them.

                                  Stamped for Murder 29:50
                                  The Care-worn Cuff 29:36
                                  The Dear, Dead Lady 29:36
                                  The Careless Cleaner 29:46
                                  The Beautiful Archer 29:29
                                  The Brave Rabbit 29:47
                                  The Impolite Corpse 28:54
                                  The Girl Who Cried Wolfe 28:56
                                  The Slaughtered Santas 28:45
                                  The Bashful Body 29:16
                                  Deadly Sell-Out 28:57
                                  The Killer Cards 28:40
                                  The Calculated Risk 27:32
                                  The Phantom Fingers 28:35
                                  The Vanishing Shells 28:36
                                  The Party for Death 29:35
                                  The Malevolent Medic 29:46
                                  The Hasty Will 29:34
                                  The Disappearing Diamonds 29:09
                                  The Midnight Ride 27:51
                                  The Final Page 29:33
                                  The Tell-Tale Ribbon 29:09
                                  A Slight Case of Perjury 29:36
                                  The Lost Heir 29:17
                                  Room 304 29:20

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 25, 2010
                                    Wolfe as in the novels would just not translate so well over into radio.  He did on tv on A&Es series, but that was just for us Wolfe fans, not so much the general public or else the series would likely have been extended.  I for one am still sad how it ended without fanfare or notice. No chance to rally support from the fan base like happened with Dog the Bounty Hunter. When he was off the air for being politically incorrect, A&E was pummeled with support by the Dog fans.
                                    Just wish that series had been a little longer.

                                    Agreed - I would have loved to have seen Greenstreet play Wolfe. And don't get me wrong, I definitely have the radio series and listen to it on occasion, and I enjoy them simply b/c they're Wolfe & Archie - it just makes me sad for all the ways it gets it wrong. I downloaded the series from somewhere, possibly a torrent, several years ago. If you're missing episodes, send me a private message and I would be happy to send along the mp3s. The complete list and runtimes is below (or, as complete as I'm aware it can be.)

                                    On another note entirely, has anyone ever listened to the CBC radio programs? I was REALLY happy with them - followed the books very well, great music - and have them too if anyone wants them.

                                    Stamped for Murder 29:50
                                    The Care-worn Cuff 29:36
                                    The Dear, Dead Lady 29:36
                                    The Careless Cleaner 29:46
                                    The Beautiful Archer 29:29
                                    The Brave Rabbit 29:47
                                    The Impolite Corpse 28:54
                                    The Girl Who Cried Wolfe 28:56
                                    The Slaughtered Santas 28:45
                                    The Bashful Body 29:16
                                    Deadly Sell-Out 28:57
                                    The Killer Cards 28:40
                                    The Calculated Risk 27:32
                                    The Phantom Fingers 28:35
                                    The Vanishing Shells 28:36
                                    The Party for Death 29:35
                                    The Malevolent Medic 29:46
                                    The Hasty Will 29:34
                                    The Disappearing Diamonds 29:09
                                    The Midnight Ride 27:51
                                    The Final Page 29:33
                                    The Tell-Tale Ribbon 29:09
                                    A Slight Case of Perjury 29:36
                                    The Lost Heir 29:17
                                    Room 304 29:20

                                    --- In nerowolfe@yahoogrou ps.com, Taylor401306@ ... wrote:

                                    > In a message dated 1/22/2010 7:01:09 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                                    > nerowolfe@yahoogrou ps.com writes:
                                    > > Re: The New Adventures of Nero Wolfe
                                    > > Posted by: "Terry Powell" kb9ree@... terry_powellrtp
                                    > > Date: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:25 pm ((PST))
                                    > >
                                    > > I understand what you say about the radio series, but I have enjoyed the
                                    > > episodes of it I have heard. Remember in the forties, they needed shows
                                    > > which would grab your attention, as radio was at that time the king of mass
                                    > > media. They also needed shows which would pick you up from all the news of
                                    > > world affairs back then.
                                    > > I can't blame them for doing what they did to Nero Wolfe, and Rex Stout
                                    > > must have approved at least grudgingly of it or else would the series have
                                    > > been aired?
                                    > I agree. We still need shows which would pick you up from all the news of
                                    > world affairs now. I've been enjoying the series. (I'm listening to it
                                    > now.) Admittedly, Wolfe leaves home far too often to accompany Archie but I put
                                    > this down to the needs of radio. It's a pity no one made a movie of Wolfe
                                    > with Greenstreet. Incidently there are 2 episodes missing from my CD- "Dear
                                    > Dead Lady" & "Careless Cleaner". Are they missing from everyone else's ?

                                  • scooter5203249
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 28, 2010
                                      I beg to differ on one point. When the A&E "Nero Wolfe" series began I wouldn't have called myself a Wolfe fan. I hadn't read one of the books, and I'd never heard the radio series. I had a note on my "To Read" list that I needed to read one of Stout's Nero Wolfe stories, but it took that wonderful series to inspire me to do so. "The Doorbell Rang" and I was in the bookstores grabbing all the Wolfe books I could find, and here I am, nearly 9 years later, surrounded by Nero Wolfe books and ephemera and still in mourning for a show that ended far, far too soon.

                                      The fan base for A&E's "Nero Wolfe" is was much broader than those who had read the books prior to watching the series - teenagers, 20-somethings, 30- somethings and all the rest of the demographics. It cuts a very broad swath. You brought up "Dog." In my opinion A&E didn't keep on with "Nero Wolfe" not because it didn't have a strong viewership, (Believe me we were very vocal about the cancellation) but because the suits had decided that they wanted to turn a premier "Arts & Entertainment" network into a so-called reality show network, featuring cheap and sleazy characters and situations.

                                      Scooter

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 28, 2010
                                        I'll second that:

                                        I'd heard the Sydney Greenstreet radio show, yes, but it didn't exactly inspire me to go research the characters and their author in my local library.  In fact it was only after an old high school buddy recommended the A&E series that I caught the fever -- and as silly as this sounds in retrospect, I was several episodes in (but already addicted) before I even realized that the stories were based on books!  I'd actually thought the television series was based on radio show directly...

                                        I vividly remember logging on to the A&E message board for the series, a wee college freshman trying to find out why "Death of a Doxy" had suddenly moved the whole setting to the 1960's, and discovering very quickly that a) I had no idea what I was talking about, and b), there was a whole new world of literature waiting for me.  After that, of course, there was no going back: whole shelves of books, much-loved ephemera scattered about, and even a little model brownstone project I've been working on off and on for the better part of a decade now, all stemming from an effort to learn a bit more about this TV show I loved.

                                        And yes, the fan base was vocal about the cancellation.  Oh, the letter-writing...  But
                                        I gather politics and a change of command at the network did us in.

                                        (I confess, thanks to some of the more memorable disgruntled posts way back then, I've thought of that station as inA'n'E ever since!)

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jan 29, 2010
                                          Add me to the group. I hadn't read a single Wolfe story before I saw an A&E episode for the first time. I went out, bought a book and was hooked.

                                          Bob B.
                                          www.SolarPons.com

                                          --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, Anna Harkey <aeharkey@...> wrote:

                                          > I'll second that:

                                        • Jenna Welch
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jan 29, 2010
                                            I was one of those teenagers Scooter mentioned who had never heard of the books prior to the show.  In fact, much as I loved the detective genre in theory, my only foray in the mystery section of my local bookstore had been for a Sherlock Holmes collection (and, foolishly perhaps, I started with Study in Scarlet, and never made it past Utah.)  And now here I am, years later, still clinging to my high school crush on Archie Goodwin, nearly finished collecting the corpus and wondering where I could fit a giant globe in my tiny apartment.  Thanks to the series, and thanks especially to Maury Chaykin, who in my humble opinion MADE the series.

                                            Damn A&E, and all the networks that cancel brilliant shows too soon!  (I'm looking at you, FOX, and you too ABC...)

                                            I won't say the series didn't have its flaws, but no series is perfect... well, maybe one.  But it should have gone on longer.

                                            NEW TOPIC:  Which book or novella did you desperately wish the show had done before it got the ax?