Archie as a Undertaker

  • Henry Fry
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 28, 2009
      I read one book where Archie dressed up like an undertaker to get into a home.  Does anyone know which book this was?

      Thanks,

      Henry

    • Lady Shelley
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 30, 2009
        I can narrow it down significantly, as the story was one A&E adapted for the series, but I don't remember which one it is.

        --
        Shelley
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        http://www.redhawke.org

        On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 5:36 AM, Henry Fry <henryfry2003@...> wrote:

        I read one book where Archie dressed up like an undertaker to get into a home.  Does anyone know which book this was?

        Thanks,

        Henry

      • Mary Daryl
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 30, 2009
          I think it was The Doorbell rang.

          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 30, 2009
            I think I am wrong. Sorry I thought that is the right book but I think I am wrong. It might be the golden spiders.

            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 30, 2009
              Shelley:  Thanks.  I have the A&E DVDs and will go thru them.

              Henry

              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 30, 2009
                http://www.nerowolfe.org/nwm/nwm_pilot/tgs-6.htm

                --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, Lady Shelley <jackaubrey@...> wrote:

                > I can narrow it down significantly, as the story was one A&E adapted for the
                > series, but I don't remember which one it is.
                >
                > --
                > Shelley
                > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                > There is grandeur in this view of life ... from so simple a beginning
                > endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being,
                > evolved. -- Charles Darwin
                >
                > http://www.redhawke.org
                >

                > On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 5:36 AM, Henry Fry <henryfry2003@...> wrote:
                >

                > > I read one book where Archie dressed up like an undertaker to get into a
                > > home. Does anyone know which book this was?
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > >
                > > Henry

              • Diva Flashblade
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 31, 2009
                  I actually read that one relatively recently. It was The Golden Spiders .

                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 31, 2009
                    Diva;  Thanks.  I have started rereading "Golden Spiders" for the 4th time.

                    Henry

                    I actually read that one relatively recently. It was The Golden Spiders .

                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 31, 2009
                      I really don't like The Golden Spiders because

                      SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

                      MAJOR PLOT POINTS IN SEVERAL BOOKS DISCUSSED BELOW

                      SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

                      The boy who comes to ask him for help is found dead soon thereafter.  I know this is a technique Rex Stout uses in several books; he kills the messenger--but I really hate it because a child dies.
                      Does anyone know in which books Stout uses this method?
                      I remember several but I can't think of their titles.

                      In one a woman is strangled with Wolfe's own dirty tie which Archie refused to take to the laundry and left on Wolfe's desk.

                      There is another one with two versions, in one of which the old lady (Hattie Ann?) who runs the boarding house brings him a packet of counterfeit money. She is killed soon after Wolfe won't see her, I think.
                      I think one title is Counterfeit for Murder, but I can't remember the other title.

                       Another one, I think, is the one in which Archie and Wolfe keep a visitor locked in the south bedroom. Then she escapes out the window and is killed, if I recall correctly.

                      Cecilia

                    • Terry Powell
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 31, 2009
                        The one where the woman dies with Wolfe's own neck tie is the one where a member of a law firm is suspect in the murder.  I don't recall it but it was a short story, I am thinking.
                        So far as a child dieing, how much of that do we see in tv shows today, plus the real sad part the actual news.  We had locally a man who just pleaded guilty on a charge of a small child's death by shaken baby syndrome. The little girl died on the fourth of July about three years ago.....unfortunately an all too real scenario these days.
                        Terry Powell

                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 31, 2009
                          SPOILERS

                          LA

                          LA

                          LA

                          SPOILERS

                          I actually liked the part about the kid dying. Wait, that sounds wrong. I don't enjoy children getting killed bit it struck a chord and that was kind of the point. It was an emotional stage for Wolfe and Archie, particularly Archie. He took it personally and was going to do whatever it took to make sure justice was served because he blamed himself for what happened to the kid all because he' wanted to give Wolfe someone his own age to play with'. Even Wolfe was getting on Stebbins case because 'That boy ate at his table'.

                          Stout was known for touching on subjects a lot of people might otherwise avoid. That's part of what makes his stories so great, especially if you consider when they were written. It's a harsh reality he was portraying, especially since the kid was just trying to do the right thing and help his mom get ahead. The real world is horrible that way sometimes.

                          Uhm, hm, was it Eeny, Meeny, Murder, Mo where she was killed with the necktie?

                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 1, 2009

                            The one where the victim is strangled with Wolfe’s tie is “Eeny Meeny Murder Mo”,  one of the short stories included in Homicide Trinity.

                            In the same volume is “Counterfeit for Murder”

                            In which Hattie Annis the landlady is killed, and Archie dallies with the beautiful FBI agent.  Stout re-wrote this as “Assault on a Brownstone”, this time killing off the FBI agent (Tammy Baxter), and allowing the wonderful character Hattie Annis to survive.

                            Pat

                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 1, 2009
                              I agree with one of your comments about Rex Stout.  I know of no modern day mystery author who can hold a candle to his work.  Not to say that I have not enjoyed any of them, but just not in Stout's league at all.  I think together these modern day mystery writers could form the league of subserviant authors.  Note the mimick of "League of Frightened Men".
                              Terry Powell

                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 3, 2009
                                I just watched the Golden Spiders and Archie dressed as a mortician to get into the home of the woman who purchased the Golden Spiders.
                                David Piccus

                                Message 15 of 29 , Nov 3, 2009
                                  No problem! The fourth time, wow. I'm still working my way through the series for the first time though that one is defiantly on my to read again list. The last one I finished as 'A Family Affair', which.... yeah still not sure how to feel about that one.

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 3, 2009
                                    Diva:  I write the date I read them in the front and most were read several times before 2000.  There are so many of them you forget the story after a few years or at least I do.  The "Door Bell Rang" is the best in my opinion.

                                    Henry

                                  • silviazaclis@uol.com.br
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 4, 2009

                                      A Family Affair is one of my favourite Nero Wolfe's. I like the characters, I like the way Archie found his own way, I like the fact that Wolfe didn't wait to get home in order to order those special chickens. The first time I read it, I found difficult to believe that Archie could be so near Wolfe without recognizing him. But now, each time I read ir I find it better. It's Rex Stout in his prime. Do you agree?
                                      Silvia

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Nov 4, 2009
                                        I will read "A Family Affair".  It was several years since I read it.  Will email an opinion as soon as I read it.

                                        Henry

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Nov 4, 2009
                                          Oh I loved that entire set up from Triple Zeck. I think I ended up reading that in two nights because I just couldn't put the thing down and had to re-read it after at a slow pace. Poor Archie was so miserable but determined to prove if to no one but himself that he was a dang good detective even without Wolfe. That one is definintly one if Rex Stout better books though the one that really had me gasping was the League of Frightened Men. Aside from Cramer being out of character because he was obviously still in development I just adore how Wolfe was will to do whatever it took to protect Archie without question. Not to mention Paul Chapin was creepy.

                                          I think though that you have the books confused. You sound like you are talking about In the Best of Families [poor puppy], not A Family Affair in which someone blows up in one of Wolfe's guest rooms. In the end I didn't know if I should cry, feel sorry for certain characters, be angry... there were just so many emotions.

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Nov 4, 2009
                                            Henry: Oh that's very clever and certainly an idea to try. My problem is that I actually borrowed the books from a friend who got me addicted to the series. I am slowly building a collection of my own though and might still some of your cleverness as I re-read them. Oh the 'Doorbell Rang' was a very good one indeed. Wolf's audacity never ceases to amaze me. The end was just too perfect. Poor Archie was against it but for the sake of not being a coward [and more importantly letting Wolfe fall alone] he stayed in. And Cramer... yeah there is so much that is great about the book. You are completely right.

                                            Diva

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Nov 4, 2009
                                              A Family Affair was sad. I truly thought better of Orrie than that!  Now what Archie and the boys did was regrettable, but probably necessary too.

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Nov 4, 2009
                                                The Doorbell Rang is a classic.  Whenever someone asked Wolfe to do the seemingly impossible and he pulled it off, what a great story line.  Imagine getting the FBI .....never mind just in case someone has yet to appreciate it for the first time.  Would that Stout had lived another twenty years and done another twenty novels with Wolfe and Archie.
                                                Terry Powell

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Nov 5, 2009

                                                  You are right, Diva. I was talking about In the best Families, not A Family Affair (I guess I haven't read this one yet). And I found In the Best Families so good, it was like seeing the scenes, that beautiful widower, the dogs, the gardens. And I agree that the Chapin couple are the creepiest characters of all.
                                                  Silvia

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Nov 6, 2009
                                                    Great, Henry.  I am sorry it was the end of the series, though.  I would have loved for Stout to continue for many years writing. It just was not to be, though.  Sad, that I didn't even get into reading the Wolfe stories until after Stout had been dead about five years.
                                                    Same way with a lot of tv shows, just not interested until they are being circulated in reruns a lot of the time.
                                                    Terry

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Nov 6, 2009
                                                      Terry:  I like you did not start reading Nero Wolfe books until after Stout's death.  The first one I read was the 50th anniversary edition of  "Fer-de-Lance" which I bought in the late 80s.  I remember because I spent several months in Ca and bought it out there and I still have it.

                                                      I have started rereading "A Family Affair".   This book to me has a different tone than other Nero Wolfe books.  Early in the book he mentions Watergate.

                                                      I would like to get DVDs of the Nero Wolfe TV series staring William Conrad but they are not available as far as I know.

                                                      Henry

                                                      Great, Henry.  I am sorry it was the end of the series, though.  I would have loved for Stout to continue for many years writing. It just was not to be, though.  Sad, that I didn't even get into reading the Wolfe stories until after Stout had been dead about five years.
                                                      Same way with a lot of tv shows, just not interested until they are being circulated in reruns a lot of the time.
                                                      Terry

                                                      I will read "A Family Affair".  It was several years since I read it.  Will email an opinion as soon as I read it.

                                                      Henry

                                                      I actually read that one relatively recently. It was The Golden Spiders .

                                                      I read one book where Archie dressed up like an undertaker to get into a home.  Does anyone know which book this was?

                                                      Thanks,

                                                      Henry

                                                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                                                    • Ken Wildman
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Nov 10, 2009

                                                        Henry:

                                                        There is a reason that the William Conrad videos are hard to find….

                                                        They are dreadful!

                                                        Rusterman

                                                        Aka Ken Wildman

                                                          Terry:  I like you did not start reading Nero Wolfe books until after Stout's death.  The first one I read was the 50th anniversary edition of  "Fer-de-Lance" which I bought in the late 80s.  I remember because I spent several months in Ca and bought it out there and I still have it.

                                                          I have started rereading "A Family Affair".   This book to me has a different tone than other Nero Wolfe books.  Early in the book he mentions Watergate.

                                                          I would like to get DVDs of the Nero Wolfe TV series staring William Conrad but they are not available as far as I know.

                                                          Henry

                                                          --
                                                          Cheers,
                                                              Geoff

                                                          Geoff Cox
                                                          Cell: 703-409-7229
                                                          geoff@...
                                                        • Terry Powell
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Nov 10, 2009
                                                            William Conrad's Nero Wolfe did leave something to be desired, but it appears the producer and writers did not want to satisfy true Wolfe fans but rather to appeal to a more general audience and merely advance yet another 70s type crime drama.  Conrad's version of Wolfe was much too jovial and understanding compared to Stout's creation.  I did like watching the series because that is the only show of Wolfe I had ever seen at the time.  Certainly the series on A&E was more true to Stout's writing.  I wish it had conitinued and there certainly was material for it to this day that they could have been doing so.
                                                            Do a search of old time radio sights.  There are some amusing Nero Wolfe radio programs....they are not much better than Conrad's Wolfe, but they are still interesting to me.
                                                            Terry

                                                            Terry:  I like you did not start reading Nero Wolfe books until after Stout's death.  The first one I read was the 50th anniversary edition of  "Fer-de-Lance" which I bought in the late 80s.  I remember because I spent several months in Ca and bought it out there and I still have it.

                                                            I have started rereading "A Family Affair".   This book to me has a different tone than other Nero Wolfe books.  Early in the book he mentions Watergate.

                                                            I would like to get DVDs of the Nero Wolfe TV series staring William Conrad but they are not available as far as I know.

                                                            Henry

                                                            --
                                                            Cheers,
                                                                Geoff