Timothy Hutton Comments on A&E Series -- with Bitterness

  • a@aboq.org
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2008
      Hi Wolfenistas,

      Google has just notified me of the release of the following interview with a rather dishevelled Timothy Hutton:

      http://laist.com/2008/12/05/laist_interview_timothy_hutton.php

      Hutton talks in some detail about the "Nero Wolfe" A&E TV series,
      and he seems to be bitter about it not getting the recognition it
      deserved and still deserves. For that passage, see the next-to-last
      question and answer in the interview. Plus, the opening question
      and answer are about Nero Wolfe.

      --
      Yours,
      Alex.

      [processed by "The Bat!", Version 3.80.06]
    • Terry Powell
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2008
        I think he did well in the series.  I am still saddened that it did not go on to include all the Wolfe stories on tv.  I never saw a better presentation of Wolfe on screen.
        Terry Powell

      • LizabethSTucker@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2008
          A&E didn't give the series the respect it deserved, even though it was obviously popular with their viewers.  Their treatment of this series was the straw that broke the camel's back in my household.  It is now rare that we watch the network.  Their aired complaint that it was too expensive a series truly didn't resonate considering that the majority of the episodes were on basic sets or in the already established brownstone.  And if they really want to get in a pissing contest regarding expense, let's not forget that they built a ship for HORATIO HORNBLOWER (another favorite of mine).  If that's not expensive, I don't know what is!!

          Liz

        • sondrao@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 7, 2008
            The problem with most T.V. now days is that it is filled with re-runs that are not worth watching the second time, much less the first time.  Most programming just seems to be there so that commercials have props to run on.  Hutton's Nero Wolfe series was one of very few lone exceptions to a long and disgusting rule.

            Worn Out of Cable

            Sondra