Quote?

  • Sarah P.
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2007
      Can anybody help with sourcing a quote? In one of the earlier novels, I
      believe, Wolfe once started to tell Archie about a woman who tried to
      poison her husband, and that he himself was that man, but Archie cut
      him off before he could say anything more (with a quip about the woman
      being a 'witch who lived in the curl of a pig's tail', or thereabouts,
      if that helps). I can't remember which book it's in, and it's becoming
      a veritable pimple on the brain! Thanks in advance, I'm sure someone
      here will have the answer.
    • a@avenarius.sk
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2007
        On Sunday, 7th October 2007 at 19:10:59 (GMT), Sarah P. wrote:

        > Can anybody help with sourcing a quote? In one of the earlier novels,
        > I believe, Wolfe once started to tell Archie about a woman who tried
        > to poison her husband, and that he himself was that man,

        No, not really! I think that may be a frequent misunderstanding
        of the passage. Thanks to Scooter, the passage has now been sourced:

        http://avenarius.sk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1312#1312

        It's from _The League of Frightened Men_, towards the end of chapter 10:

        http://tinyurl.com/25jtnj

        Click on the footnote mark following the word "myself" within the body
        of that quote to read my take on it.

        Of course, anyone is free to disagree. 8-) I for one am as certain
        that Wolfe never married as I know that Wolfe lived in West 35th Street
        and Sherlock Holmes lived in Baker Street. It's one of those unshakable
        certainties in life, you know. ;-) The thought of a married Wolfe
        (even a lean one) strikes a blasphemous chord in my ears. ;-)

        (If you have a different theory, feel free to post it on the forum page;
        no registration necessary, just click the Post Reply button & submit.)

        --
        Yours,
        Alex.

        [processed by "The Bat!", Version 3.80.06]
      • Cecilia Etheridge
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 12, 2007
          I agree that it seems impossible that Wolfe ever
          married. But Sherlock Holmes at least was moved by
          THE Woman--even if his feelings are interpreted as
          nothing more than chagrin and respect. I have heard
          an apocryphal speculation that Holmes visited Irene
          Adler when he was "dead" for 3 years--and even a
          theory that Wolfe was her son, with Sherlock's mind
          and Mycroft's laziness.

          (Do not throw brickbats! I am only saying that I
          thought this theory was intriguing, though very
          dubious.)
          Cecilia

          http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658