Instead of Evidence

  • David McClelland
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2007
      Sorry to be a bit late in starting the discussion, but my 'puter is
      being recalcitrant, as Mr. Wolfe so rightly assures us is to be
      expected from machines.

      Instead of Evidence is among the stories I would most like to have seen
      filmed. Some great Wolfe/Archie interplay and some outright slapstick
      (Archie's seach in the booby-trapped offices) would have made it a high
      point. I would give anything to see Wolfe dispense with "abditories."

      Much of the pleasure of the story stems from the clash of Wolfe's
      dignity with the insufferable crassness of practical jokes and
      novelties. One of Stout's most inspired situations, imho.
    • Sarah P.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2007
        I've read Instead of Evidence - I also liked the characters in this,
        especially Archie's misplaced faith in another damsel in distress -
        but not 'A Family Affair' (yet), so I would like to ask: are the
        cigars in the short story 'recycled' in the last book?

        Sarah

        --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, "David McClelland"
        <chatnoir210@...> wrote:

        > Sorry to be a bit late in starting the discussion, but my 'puter is
        > being recalcitrant, as Mr. Wolfe so rightly assures us is to be
        > expected from machines.
        >
        > Instead of Evidence is among the stories I would most like to have
        seen
        > filmed. Some great Wolfe/Archie interplay and some outright
        slapstick
        > (Archie's seach in the booby-trapped offices) would have made it a
        high
        > point. I would give anything to see Wolfe dispense
        with "abditories."

        > Much of the pleasure of the story stems from the clash of Wolfe's
        > dignity with the insufferable crassness of practical jokes and
        > novelties. One of Stout's most inspired situations, imho.

      • massivemiddle
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2007
          Hi: I'm new here but have been lurking for quite a while, and couldn't
          resist talking about Instead of Evidence, being one of my favorites. I
          think this is the last of the WW 2 group and the last of many things:
          the last time Archie has to defend himself about not going over to
          fight; Cramer puffing cigars and Wolfe not minding; Archie reading
          books; a person barred from entering the brownstone.
          The humor here is some of the best: Wolfe asking Cramer if he can
          convict all six of the people who make trick cigars!
          When Wolfe asks Martha " May I ask, Madam, what you are looking so
          pleased about?" Archie is in love again when Martha doesn't blink at
          that.
          Wolfe on his high-horse about cheating 140 million people out of tax
          money. "Bah!"
          Archie describing Martha's calf measurements- not up to par, but
          within acceptable limits I guess.
          I got interested in the pushcart which Archie swerved to avoid, but
          can't find anything out about them- not being a New Yorker and
          wondering if they were common then and what was in them?

          SPOILER WARNING
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .

          One thing I'm wondering: when did Archie know Martha was the
          murderess.
          This one would have made a great A&E film!
        • Sarah P.
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 10, 2007

            Following on from David's post about wanting to see Instead of Evidence filmed, I would like to add Bullet for One to the list, too! :D Maybe I'm being over-generous, because I thought the other non-A+E short story in that collection, The Gun With Wings, a poor mystery-by-numbers contribution, and couldn't stand Wolfe's clients (who, along with their story, were almost a carbon of  the two muppets in 'When a Man Murders ...'), or perhaps I would just like to have seen all the novelettes filmed (all they're good for, in my opinion!) - but I thought it a fun, filmable story, with some lively characters - the dumb blonde, the sneering boss/victim's daughter, the no-nonsense mounted policeman, and a great ending, with the horse race through the park! And Archie is utterly paranoid about Orrie in this one, to the point where he insinuates that his office-temp will be bald in a few years ..!/:)

            I thought the conclusion of the novelette itself rather unspectacular - the dots were all there, they just weren't connected up in the right order - but it could have had such potential as an episode!