1981 series

  • Tom Barry
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 20, 2007
      I remember it only too well. It was beyond awful - a combination of
      miscasting plus unacceptable alterations in the characters. It was the
      first time I ever wrote a TV executive to complain. I got no response,
      of course.
    • Julia LaBua
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 20, 2007
        Re: [NeroWolfe] 1981 series In hindsight, I agree it was pretty awful. However, as a high-school freshman with a hopeless crush on the Rex Stout’s Archie Goodwin that easily attached itself to actor Lee Horsley, (a transference that even led me to endure his equally questionable series “Matt Houston,” I confess I have fond memories of the dreck. Blame it on the hormones.

        Julia

      • LaughingMan008@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 20, 2007
          Oy. Here we go again. LOL
          Look, I am a die hard Nero Wolfe fan....
          And one of the few who will admit that I LIKED the 81 series! I know, it's not faithful to the books. I don't care though, because I always appreciate when somebody takes something and does it in a new way. And I don't think there was any miscasting. The characters were meant to be different from their novelized counterparts, and the people they got to portray them were perfect. I mean, just look at Alan Miller. In my opinion, a GREAT Cramer. Not as loud or aggressive as the one in the books, but no less irritating and arrogant. I like the 81 series. No, I don't like it as much as the A&E one, but it has its place among my fave tv shows. (And on my rack of bootlegged TV show DVDs)

          See what's free at AOL.com.
        • Geoff Cox
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 24, 2007

            Nevertheless I would like to see it. How can I get a hold of it?

            Any help would be appreciated.

            Cheers,

                 Geoff.

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 24, 2007
              Occasionally TV Land shows them. I would strongly suggest that you NOT
              pay any money for them until you have the chance to see a few episodes
              on tv, if possible. If someone were selling the complete series for $5,
              I'd spend the money on a large latte at star bucks and consider myself
              lucky....not that I'm biased or anything.

              Geoff Cox wrote:

              > Nevertheless I would like to see it. How can I get a hold of it?
              >

              > Any help would be appreciated.
              >

              > Cheers,
              >
              > Geoff.

            • Geoff Cox
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 25, 2007

                Thanks!

                Perhaps I can TIVO it then for nothing.

                Cheers,

                     Geoff.

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 25, 2007
                  There is a link at tvland.com where you can request specific TV series to be shown - I suggest you email them and ask them to show it again becaue it's not on their current lineup.
                  Jackie
                  ---- Geoff Cox <Geoff@...> wrote:
                  > Thanks!
                  >

                  > Perhaps I can TIVO it then for nothing.
                  >

                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Geoff.
                  >

                  > _____

                • Lyn Gardner
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 27, 2007
                    I have also seen copies sold at places like ask.com.

                    I agree that the show is very different from the books. When I first
                    got a chance to see it, after having watched the A&E series & read
                    most of the books, I was appalled initially. Then I saw the
                    b&w "Meet Nero Wolfe" which was so far off that it was laughable. I
                    had to just sit back & enjoy it for what it was... (don't know if
                    anyone else has seen the attempts at adapting The Maltese Falcon
                    prior to the Bogart version, but I got the same vibe from it--an
                    attempt to render a popular detective in a mostly comedic style).
                    After that, for some reason, I was able to appreciate the 1981 show
                    more, accepting it for an adaptation rather than a transcription.
                    Indeed, it was surprising to see some of the episodes with different
                    characters than one expects from the books turning out to be the
                    villains. While I don't believe these are the characters from the
                    books by a long stretch (and I still take exception to their
                    representation of Saul as a feckless fool), I learned to appreciate
                    them in their own right and enjoy the show. Now when I see something
                    glaringly off--like Wolfe having an unrequited love!--I just chuckle
                    & enjoy it for what it is. I suppose in some ways it might even be
                    seen in the light of some kind of fanfic AU :)

                    Lyn G.