Re: [NeroWolfe] Re: automobiles in Wolfe books

  • Jessie
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
      Noreen wrote:

      > From my understanding, the name of the cars always seemed made up. I
      > think that there was some leagal reasons on not naming a particular
      > name of car. The ones that were refferenced to the client may have
      > been to indicate that something was not quite right. Like having a
      > Jaguar(no type of Jaguar was mentioned) belong to a lowly phone
      > operator.

      Most of the brand names in Stout are made up, but not all.
      As I recall the reason he gave -- I think it's in McAleer,
      or perhaps an interview I read -- the reason was that he
      didn't want the brand to add or subtract from the mystery.
      He didn't want someone saying "Oh, it was a Chevy. I've
      always hated Chevy. The driver must be a murderer." Or
      vice versa, eliminating a suspect because they simply loved
      a Chevy, would never drive anything else.

      But, like every rule in the Nero Wolfes, there's always an
      exception. Wolfe always rides in a Heron, until the day
      Archie buys a Cadillac. And there's a Dodge Coronet in one
      -- Mother Hunt, I believe -- driven by a victim (I remember
      that because I owned a Coronet at the time I read it).

      --
      Lovin' Babe! aka Jessie
      O! Give Wolfe a home, so he won't have to roam...
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
        "Jack T." wrote:

        > By the way, not having seen the A&E Wolfe series, did they do anything
        > about going with a fictional car name for what Archie drove, or just
        > not really say anything about it in the dialogue?

        I don't recall anything at all in the dialogue about car
        brands. I believe we only saw Wolfe in or near a car in
        three episodes: The Next Witness, Door to Death, and The
        Doorbell Rang. Where there others?

        The cars in TNW and TDR are fleeting and I don't remember
        them at all. The car used in Door to Death caused some
        controversy at the time because the steering was on the
        right and, so, was obviously an import. Objections were
        mainly along the line that Wolfe would never by a foreign
        car, would always buy American, etc. Arguments in favor, as
        I recall, centered around Wolfe's affection for quality
        merchandize.

        Personally, I was momentarily convinced the film had been
        reversed and spent a couple of days doing a frame by frame
        to see if I could spot reversals in jackets, ties, hats,
        nose hairs, and the like. No go. It was a vintage import.
        Somewhere in the files the thread turned to maker but I
        can't recall the details. Try the archives here or at the
        Pfight group.

        --
        Lovin' Babe! aka Jessie Strader
        entwold@...
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
          --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, "Jack T." <bearinbirch@...> wrote:

          > I've recently been getting back into the Nero Wolfe books (I had
          > originally bought and read some back in the early '80's), and I'm
          > curious about the cars mentioned in various books.

          I think, that Archie und Wolfe drive a care namend "Heron", look also under http://
          www.nerowolfe.org/htm/tidbits/tidbits.htm and on my webpage http://www.gazette-bs.de/
          index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=114 (sorry in german, but there ist installed a
          bable-fish, right top: but the transalation is no so good, like my english)
          look: http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=de_en&trurl=http%3a%2f
          %2fwww.gazette-bs.de%2findex.php%3fname%3dNews%26file%3darticle%26sid%3d114