Re: [NeroWolfe] Finally...

  • a@avenarius.sk
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 31, 2007
      On Saturday, 31st March 2007 at 11:10:26 (GMT -0700), John Cahill wrote:

      > Gorgeous stuff, Danielle. If I had a magazine, I'd hire you tomorrow.

      Yes, really great. It's a feast for the eye to read a Wolfe story
      in that layout. I even stored both files locally on my PC.

      Nonetheless, I've noticed a typo in the Champagne ad: it should be
      "a perfect set-up" or "a perfect setup", rather than "a perfect set up".
      You wouldn't want Wolfe to burn the artwork because of a typo, Danielle,
      would you? ;-))))

      An aside: on another list I'm subscribed to, an elderly San Francisco
      poet, long retired, just reported a few days ago he was inspired by
      a recent re-run of the Nero Wolfe TV series to take up growing orchids
      seriously himself. It appears to be a fascinating hobby -- so much
      that you either have to be retired or very rich to indulge in it with
      any significant results. ;-)

      Finally, on another, sad note: my webpages collapsed. Not just the
      pages prepared for future Nero Wolfe quotations collections, but all
      webpages. :-( A lot of time and effort went into preparing the database,
      but nothing works as of right now in the MediaWiki software I use.
      I have lots of database backups from recent weeks, but restoring
      either of them shows no results. I still hope the earlier pages can
      be restored somehow and the quotations project can continue. 8-|

      --
      Yours,
      Alex.

      [processed by "The Bat!", Version 3.80.06]
    • David McClelland
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2007
        Nice artwork, Danielle, with a great period feel to it. Unfortunately,
        after consultation with our legal advisors, we found that the
        inclusion of that amount of text would likely make us run afoul of
        copyright law, so we had to take it dowm.

        We hope that you will consider reloading it-to the Photos Section -
        with either deleted or dummy text. And we'd enjoy seeing more, if you
        do any!
      • Jessie
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2007
          Hmmm. Can't open the CfO jpeg. Keep getting the following error message:

          The image
          "http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/MAEQRhvDCneJwMi6oWLXNhAyFgFwKg0Ruq_mbFmThbG0tN97lcpfOoPwCY8Yq5oVp99PojAypTzmq_pHEU1WtKFXj-2oJbfS/Artwork/Champagne.jpg"
          cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

          Maybe because it's in the files section and not the photo section?

          --
          Lovin' Babe! aka Jessie
          O! Give Wolfe a home, so he won't have to roam...
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2007
            On Sunday, 1st April 2007 at 19:44:42 (GMT), David McClelland wrote:

            > Unfortunately, after consultation with our legal advisors, we found
            > that the inclusion of that amount of text would likely make us run
            > afoul of copyright law, so we had to take it down.

            ROFL! I certainly knew what I was doing when I stored a local copy
            of the two files before one of them disappeared. David's sentence
            almost sounds like a parody; unfortunately, that's no parody but
            the harsh reality of copyright laws.

            (PS: In the meantime I've managed to resurrect the quotations site.)

            --
            Yours,
            Alex.
            http://stout.avenarius.sk

            [processed by "The Bat!", Version 3.80.06]
          • Danielle
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2007
              If only it were a parody, Alex, if only. Well, I'm sorry if I have
              INFRINGED on Rex Stout's copyrights, and I shall not do so again. I
              had only wanted to share my artwork with this group, but I guess that
              is against the law as well. I have removed ALL my icons and artwork
              from the group.(Despite how well protected they would be in these
              determinedly guarded walls of this great Nero Wolfe group!) I shall
              also remove myself. If any of you think this is overeaction *looks at
              Alex with a stern look* (Haha!), then congratulations, I do not care.
              That Black Orchids magazine layout was done during my collage class,
              an EDUCATIONAL PURPOSE, and I shall NEVER remove the text from it
              just to statisfy the witch-hunt mentality in this group to whosoever
              infringes upon the great and almighty copyright laws.

              I thank everyone who showed ethusiasm towards my artwork, and I'm
              especially flattered by John Cahill's comment about hiring me
              tomorrow. Thank you so much! I'm really grateful for those postive
              comments. :) Oh! And Jessie, if you want to see my CFO magazine ad, I
              will gladly send it to your e-mail address.

              Alex, I have your quotations website and everything, which I'm glad
              is up and running after that terrible news, so I will contribute when
              I can. I'm sorry it has taken so long, but my libraries suck and my
              school work is piling on for this last month. I shall get them as
              soon as I can! I will, dang it, if it kills me! Hehe!

              This time I won't return with the eager persuasions of others, I'm
              leaving for good. I enjoyed talking to everyone and I hope things go
              well with you all.

              Danielle
            • Joe Suggs
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 1, 2007
                Well, I was never able to get any of the designs to show up, and as a professional graphic artist myself, I was very interested.  If anyone has any way to upload these as jpegs or e-mail them to me in any viewable form I'd really love to see them.

                Thanks!

                Joe Suggs

                Danielle <severus_snape18@...> wrote:
[...]

                Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate