Orchids and Vanilla beans

  • Noreen
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2007
      Could Wolfe's interest in orchids be due to the cultivation of the
      perfect vanilla bean. A vanilla bean to suit his needs and standards?
    • David McClelland
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2007
        --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, "Noreen" <babsnaa@...> wrote:

        > Could Wolfe's interest in orchids be due to the cultivation of the
        > perfect vanilla bean. A vanilla bean to suit his needs and standards?

        I doubt if it's the actual reason for Wolfe's orchid mania, but I
        suspect we're on the same page in being beguiled by the notion of the
        vanilla orchid as the nexus of his great passions. I have often
        pondered the idea that he might have tried to breed them to tweak both
        their showiness and their flavor---they would be his Magnificent
        Obsession!

        BTW, nice to see you, Noreen!

        ~Flum
      • Noreen
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2007
          --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, "David McClelland"

          .

          > ~Flum

          It would be a great obsession for Wolfe. His love of food and orchids
          combining with the perfect vanilla orchid/bean. Could explain why he
          insists on being in the plant rooms for so long every day. He could
          not trust an outsider to grow an orchid to his specifications. But I
          agree it is not his only purpose to grow orchids. The subistution for
          not having a female around. Pretty orchids all around to love and
          care for. No hasles for the beauty.
        • Chris LaLone
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 3, 2007
            Hello fellow fans of the large one.

            I offer some insight into Vanilla and Wolfe.
            I have been and orchid grower and beer drinker for over 40 years, so, I hereby de-lurk.

            Wolfe is really into showy or rare orchids.
            The Vanilla planifora-one of several species- is neither showy nor rare.
            These orchids are thick vines with small flowers that open at night.
            They emit a slight fragrance that attracts their pollinators which are moths.
            In industry, lacking these moths, the small flowers are hand pollinated- very time-consuming and costly.  I doubt Theodore would like to stay up late at night and climb ladders to accomplish this task.  No doubt but that Wolfe would find it satisfactory...

            Chris LaLone

            8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
          • cactusjulie
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 4, 2007
              Thank you, Chris. I was wondering why Stout hadn't come up with the
              vanilla bean idea. Wolfe explained he grew orchids to bring beauty
              to the world. Having survived WWI and Balkan conflicts, he needed to
              see beauty. Now we know why he'd leave the chasing of vanilla beans
              to Fritz.
            • briarpatch_39272
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 4, 2007
                Wow, thanks for the plant expertise, and that is very good information
                to know. Thanks for delurking also.
                Charlene

                --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, Chris LaLone <clalone52@...> wrote:

                > Hello fellow fans of the large one.
                >
                > I offer some insight into Vanilla and Wolfe.
                > I have been and orchid grower and beer drinker for over 40 years,
                so, I hereby de-lurk.

                > Wolfe is really into showy or rare orchids.
                > The Vanilla planifora-one of several species- is neither showy nor
                rare.
                > These orchids are thick vines with small flowers that open at night.
                > They emit a slight fragrance that attracts their pollinators which
                are moths.
                > In industry, lacking these moths, the small flowers are hand
                pollinated- very time-consuming and costly. I doubt Theodore would
                like to stay up late at night and climb ladders to accomplish this
                task. No doubt but that Wolfe would find it satisfactory...

                > Chris LaLone
                >

                > ---------------------------------

              • Noreen
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 6, 2007
                  Ok here is a few more things to think about....Since Wolfe would not
                  or could not grow orchids for vanilla beans.....what about Hewitt???
                  Wolfe was always envious of Hewitts orchids. Both have a love of both
                  food and orchids. Hewitt has more room, money to cultivate almost
                  anything that Wolfe has in mind. There always seems to be some kind
                  of love/hate relationship between them both. Hewitt may have the
                  vanilla beans and very stingy with the suppling of them to his
                  friends, namely Wolfe.

                  --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, briarpatch_39272 <no_reply@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Wow, thanks for the plant expertise, and that is very good
                  information
                  > to know. Thanks for delurking also.
                  > Charlene
                  >

                  > --- In nerowolfe@yahoogroups.com, Chris LaLone <clalone52@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hello fellow fans of the large one.
                  > >
                  > > I offer some insight into Vanilla and Wolfe.
                  > > I have been and orchid grower and beer drinker for over 40
                  years,
                  > so, I hereby de-lurk.
                  > >
                  > > Wolfe is really into showy or rare orchids.
                  > > The Vanilla planifora-one of several species- is neither showy
                  nor
                  > rare.
                  > > These orchids are thick vines with small flowers that open at
                  night.
                  > > They emit a slight fragrance that attracts their pollinators
                  which
                  > are moths.
                  > > In industry, lacking these moths, the small flowers are hand
                  > pollinated- very time-consuming and costly. I doubt Theodore would
                  > like to stay up late at night and climb ladders to accomplish this
                  > task. No doubt but that Wolfe would find it satisfactory...
                  > >
                  > > Chris LaLone
                  > >

                  > > ---------------------------------
                  > > 8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
                  > > with theYahoo! Search movie showtime shortcut.

                • briarpatch_39272
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 6, 2007
                    Naw, if it's not showy enough for Wolfe, then Hewitt wouldn't want it
                    either. I believe this is much as any other supply and demand thing.
                    Somewhere, someone raises the vanilla bean plants efficiently and
                    ships them to the Fritz' of the world, making it unnecessary for Wolfe
                    (or Hewitt) to bother with.
                    Charlene

                  • entwold@att.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 6, 2007
                      From: briarpatch_39272
                      > Naw, if it's not showy enough for Wolfe, then Hewitt wouldn't want it
                      > either. I believe this is much as any other supply and demand thing.
                      > Somewhere, someone raises the vanilla bean plants efficiently and
                      > ships them to the Fritz' of the world, making it unnecessary for Wolfe
                      > (or Hewitt) to bother with.
                      > Charlene

                      Good points from all in the thread. I used to wonder if Wolfe would grow vanilla, but decided against it. It's not that all of Wolfe's orchids are showy. I can't quite recall which book it was, but Wolfe once sends a female client up to the plant rooms with Archie, who is surprised when she picks a small unassuming bloom as her favorite -- some sort of Miltonia? Not a Cattleya at any rate.

                      I don't think lack of showiness of itself would stop Wolfe from growing vanilla, but rather the fact that he would be unlikely to grow the BEST vanilla in the plant rooms. He would look for something like Tahitian vanilla or have the best grower in Madagascar to provide him with specially grown, hand picked beans.

                      Juniper berries you can grown in the back courtyard with the other herbs, but vanilla.... Mon Dieu! It is one of the great difficulties.

                      --
                      Lovin' Babe! aka Jessie
                      O! Give Wolfe a home, so he won't have to roam
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 6, 2007
                        Whoa! That was a lot of typos. My apologies. I'm going to go home now. -- LB

                        From: entwold@...
                        > From: briarpatch_39272
                        > > Naw, if it's not showy enough for Wolfe, then Hewitt wouldn't want it
                        > > either. I believe this is much as any other supply and demand thing.
                        > > Somewhere, someone raises the vanilla bean plants efficiently and
                        > > ships them to the Fritz' of the world, making it unnecessary for Wolfe
                        > > (or Hewitt) to bother with.
                        > > Charlene
                        >
                        > Good points from all in the thread. I used to wonder if Wolfe would grow
                        > vanilla, but decided against it. It's not that all of Wolfe's orchids are
                        > showy. I can't quite recall which book it was, but Wolfe once sends a female
                        > client up to the plant rooms with Archie, who is surprised when she picks a
                        > small unassuming bloom as her favorite -- some sort of Miltonia? Not a Cattleya
                        > at any rate.
                        >
                        > I don't think lack of showiness of itself would stop Wolfe from growing vanilla,
                        > but rather the fact that he would be unlikely to grow the BEST vanilla in the
                        > plant rooms. He would look for something like Tahitian vanilla or have the best
                        > grower in Madagascar to provide him with specially grown, hand picked beans.
                        >
                        > Juniper berries you can grown in the back courtyard with the other herbs, but
                        > vanilla.... Mon Dieu! It is one of the great difficulties.
                        >
                        > --
                        > Lovin' Babe! aka Jessie
                        > O! Give Wolfe a home, so he won't have to roam

                        Lovin' Babe! aka Jessie Strader
                        entwold@...
                        O! Give Wolfe a home, so he won't
                        have to roam
                        t/
                      • Noreen
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 7, 2007
                          I was suprised that it has been never brought up in any of the books
                          about vanilla. But I dont have all of the books yet. I know that
                          Wolfe has commented on things like corn and saffron but never the
                          vanilla. Weird,I think since it would combines the loves of his life.