Re: [GAdetection] Nero Wolfe

  • Taylor401306@cs.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2007
      In a message dated 01/02/2007 3:50:36 AM Eastern Standard Time, GAdetection@yahoogroups.com writes:
        I have to say that I really don't like Stout.  I've read a dozen or so now, trying to have a road to Damascus experience, but to no avail.  Wolfe is obnoxious, Archie too cocky, and the plots are formulaic: too much of the story is spent trying to persuade Wolfe to leave his armchair and detect; when he finally does, the choice of murderer is usually arbitrary, and relies on very flimsy evidence.  When Wolfe plays God, as someone said, he doesn't reach any solution that any sane person would.

      Have you read "Some Buried Caesar"? It was voted 1 of the 100 Favorite Mysteries of the Century by the Independent  Mystery Booksellers  Association. There is also "The League of Frightened Men" which H.R.F Keating chose as 1 of the 100 best crime & mystery books. There is also "The Doorbell Rang" & " Golden Spiders". Please read 1 of these before you give up on Stout.
    • briarpatch_39272
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2007
        This is interesting. I had not seen this post from GAdetection at all
        except for being attached to this reply by Taylor401306. Another
        yahoo thing no doubt, but odd anyway.

        I now must wonder about what else Mr. Detection had to say.

        Charlene